Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biomedical Engineering ...

Options
  • 06-11-2014 11:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭

Hey!

Would appreciate some insight from someone who is doing or did this course. This course and this University is currently on my list, so yeah. ANY INSIGHT would like seriously help me, as I'm tied between Physics and Psychology and this.

1) How is the course, in terms of standard LC Biology? Is there more detail etc?

2) How is the engineering aspect? What sort of things do you be doing in year one etc?

3) Are the class sizes huge or small?

4) Would the University be equipped for the course? and would there be any outside campus elements?

5) Any stories or information on the career opportunities? Do companies visit and hold a small day or something towards the end of the degree?(I heard some places do this - especially for engineering courses).

6) Would I end up with the same end degree if I chose the engineering route and chose biomedical on the last year (if that's possible)?

Feel free to PM me if you have to. Really want some information :D and I'm going to the Open Day in a few weeks, to hunt down the professors who teach this ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭XtotheZ

Hey!

Would appreciate some insight from someone who is doing or did this course. This course and this University is currently on my list, so yeah. ANY INSIGHT would like seriously help me, as I'm tied between Physics and Psychology and this.

1) How is the course, in terms of standard LC Biology? Is there more detail etc?

2) How is the engineering aspect? What sort of things do you be doing in year one etc?

3) Are the class sizes huge or small?

4) Would the University be equipped for the course? and would there be any outside campus elements?

5) Any stories or information on the career opportunities? Do companies visit and hold a small day or something towards the end of the degree?(I heard some places do this - especially for engineering courses).

6) Would I end up with the same end degree if I chose the engineering route and chose biomedical on the last year (if that's possible)?

Feel free to PM me if you have to. Really want some information :D and I'm going to the Open Day in a few weeks, to hunt down the professors who teach this ;)

Hi man, im doing common entry in dcu but all engineering is the same in first year, so we are all together. So far all the biology we have done has been in little more detail than leaving cert, presumably theres a lot more in second year but so far i cant tell you.

Our modules are engineering maths, chem, physics, biology, drawing, materials and then practicals and electronics. All the aspect of each module relate to engineering ie functions in maths or vectors in physics.

160 in our year but as youd expect after 3 weeks alot arnt bothering. Bad decision.

DCU is very well equipped, people say that after it was done up its better equipped than UCD. Everything is on campus and the buildings are very close to each other.

Not sure really, there was a career fair but i didnt go. I think the engineering soc organise stuff like that.

Im doing common and you branch off in the second year and you will end up with the same degree.

I had UCD down as my first for engineering and was sorta disappointed I got DCU but Im so happy I chose it now! Great place!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I don't know too much about Biomedical Engineering but since you're considering Physics, have you considered Physics with Biomedical Science? I know they share some modules with the Biomedical Engineering students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Nimr wrote: »
    I don't know too much about Biomedical Engineering but since you're considering Physics, have you considered Physics with Biomedical Science? I know they share some modules with the Biomedical Engineering students.

What physics elements would there even be in biomedical? I'm doing PhysChem in school, and I'd have a hard time seeing any common ground with Biology and Physics besides the lens - eye relationship.

Is there any end difference between standard Biomedical Eng and Physics with Biomedical Science?

If the Physics with Biomedical Science course includes Physics modules and Biomedical Eng(?) modules, and then you can choose your path with Physics or Biology .. then maybe I'm better off doing that as it'll help me decide on my path.

Also, how is your course? How's the maths and is it interesting? :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

What physics elements would there even be in biomedical? I'm doing PhysChem in school, and I'd have a hard time seeing any common ground with Biology and Physics besides the lens - eye relationship.

Is there any end difference between standard Biomedical Eng and Physics with Biomedical Science?

What's the common ground you see between biology and engineering, then? :D

As far as I can see, the biomed elements are more or less equal. Bear in mind that neither of these are biology courses and you'll be doing more physics or engineering than biology.

Have a read through the prospectus pages of both courses and then go through this:

PBM: http://www.dcu.ie/registry/module_contents.php?function=4&programme=PBM

BMED: http://www.dcu.ie/registry/module_contents.php?function=4&programme=BMED

You can click each modules for more info.
    Also, how is your course? How's the maths and is it interesting? :D

It's very interesting and the maths is fine. We're the same as the PBM people bar one module per semester.

Advertisement