Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Translate

Options
  • 06-11-2014 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi, could anyone help me translate an old Tipperary towns land - "Cooltogoughagh". No reference to it on the logainm website. Thanks :D

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Where abouts in Tipp is/was it? The name doesn't appear on the Wikipedia list of Tipperary town-lands either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_townlands_of_County_Tipperary

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Saying it out loud (and messing around with accents a bit) it could possibly be something like Coillte Dhubha. Any dark forests around the area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 winterwheat

It's situated between Ballingarry and Mullinahone. The name is seen in an old Tipperary map (1841). Nowadays the area is referred as "knockulty" , which I've been told translates as "ulster mans hill" , even thou there is no hill in the area. No forests near by either. So I'm a tad confused!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Hi, could anyone help me translate an old Tipperary towns land - "Cooltogoughagh". No reference to it on the logainm website. Thanks :D

Choose Tipperary under the 'County' option here in Seanruad and it should come up.

When you've got the spelling, try the superb Placenames Database of Ireland for the Irish and its meaning.

Thanks for replying. No mention of it on the links provided. I'll just assume as there is no direct translation the map got the placename wrong or else it was mistranslated somewhere along the way.

• Advertisement

Thanks for replying. No mention of it on the links provided. I'll just assume as there is no direct translation the map got the placename wrong or else it was mistranslated somewhere along the way.

Two more possibilites: Gabhal Dá Dhúiche - the intersection of two lands.
    Cúl Dá Dhúiche - the back of two lands

An File wrote: »
    Two more possibilites: Gabhal Dá Dhúiche - the intersection of two lands.
    Cúl Dá Dhúiche - the back of two lands

These are probably the closest translations as the area is the last block of land between two lands/ parishes. Thanks!

Advertisement