Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lollapalooza Comes To Europe

Options
  • 06-11-2014 9:57pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭

LOL15_blog_Berlin.png

We’re beyond excited to announce that we’re expanding the Lollapalooza family in 2015 to include BERLIN!

Germany will join Chile, Brazil and Argentina as Lolla’s fourth international location, in addition to the original U.S. Festival in Chicago’s Grant Park. It will be Lolla’s first European edition and will take place at Tempelhof Airport, September 12-13, 2015. Lollapalooza Berlin will follow in the tradition of Lollapalooza U.S. bringing incredible music, food, art and social responsibility to a location in the heart of Berlin.

I’M EXTREMELY EXCITED TO FINALLY BRING LOLLAPALOOZA ACROSS THE POND TO EUROPE. BERLIN’S ENERGY, VIBRANT ART, FASHION AND MUSIC SCENES ARE A MIRROR REFLECTION OF WHAT LOLLAPALOOZA IS ALL ABOUT AND I CAN’T WAIT TO SHARE IN THIS CULTURAL EXCHANGE.
    —Perry Farrell

For the latest information and announcements on Lollapalooza Berlin, visit www.lollapaloozaDE.com or follow the festival on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Might look into it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Curious to hear who will be playing this!! There have been some great line ups over the years in the states so if they can be replicated in Europe then this could be an awesome weekend of fun!!

I imagine it'll be similar bands to Reading/Leeds. Same promoter and all that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Was at Lollapalooza in 2012 in Chicago and it was easily the best festival I've been to. Definitely looking into this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

Berlin is such a great city ... good choice of location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lc180

Line-up was announce today for Lolla in Chile, Brazil and Argentina. Pretty similar line-up for each but I've included the poster for Chile below.

This festival has kinda lost its alternative edge the last few years, the inclusion of Calvin Harris, Skrillex and the likes is pretty laughable. I wonder what we can expect for Berlin.

1509118_959548914060015_5397102681591324759_n.png?oh=b7b5b559fee5ce1981f01f4ca4199331&oe=54E312AC&__gda__=1423173342_b2f35f0dece0796daae107d321c4af8c

O' Higgins Park in Santiago? Actually want to look up the history of that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

Mushy wrote: »
    O' Higgins Park in Santiago? Actually want to look up the history of that one.

It's named after Bernardo O'Higgins, the second leader of Chile.

That line-up is pretty awful, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

This is presumably taking over from the Berlin Festival, it's usually around then and in Tempelhof Airport.
    I enjoyed the set up at Tempelhof. Stay in the city, handy to get to. Then so much to do all night in Berlin!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MeetReality

symbolic wrote: »
    This is presumably taking over from the Berlin Festival, it's usually around then and in Tempelhof Airport.
    I enjoyed the set up at Tempelhof. Stay in the city, handy to get to. Then so much to do all night in Berlin!

Berlin Festival is now moved to May and takes place where the Arena/Arena Club is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭exilec

I know this sounds like a fairly silly question with it being the first year in berlin but i was looking at flights and hotel package and its working out fairly cheap to make a holiday out of it. Does anyone reckon it will be safe enough to book now and then get tickets the day they go on sale ?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Stretchryan

exilec wrote: »
    I know this sounds like a fairly silly question with it being the first year in berlin but i was looking at flights and hotel package and its working out fairly cheap to make a holiday out of it. Does anyone reckon it will be safe enough to book now and then get tickets the day they go on sale ?

Berlin is an amazing city anyway if you aint been before. I have been about 20 times and love going everytime as always find new stuff too do and places to go. Really class if in to minimal techno but regards the festival i would wait for the line up to be announced and as Berlin is so big you will always get great hotel deals and wouldn't expect the flight prices to change too much.

Berlin is an amazing city anyway if you aint been before. I have been about 20 times and love going everytime as always find new stuff too do and places to go. Really class if in to minimal techno but regards the festival i would wait for the line up to be announced and as Berlin is so big you will always get great hotel deals and wouldn't expect the flight prices to change too much.

Perfect , thanks for the heads up .!! I booked a hotel close by with free cancellation and will keep my eye on the flights ..Never been to Berlin so up for this one :cool::cool:

Perfect , thanks for the heads up .!! I booked a hotel close by with free cancellation and will keep my eye on the flights ..Never been to Berlin so up for this one :cool::cool:

What hotel if you don't mind me asking?

Berlin is a brilliant city, would be interested in going to this festival if the lineup is decent.

lc180 wrote: »
    What hotel if you don't mind me asking?

Berlin is a brilliant city, would be interested in going to this festival if the lineup is decent.

No problem, its the
    Crowne plaza berlin city centre
    Nürnberger Str. 65
    Schoneberg-Tempelhof
    Berlin, 1078

I booked it off booking.com, cheaper than direct..

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

Of course, this is a new festival so there are no other years to go by, but in my experience festivals in Europe don't sell out on the first day like they do in UK/IRL. Usually it's much closer to the time. I'd still say get them the day they go on sale if you can, but I doubt you'll have any trouble.

According to their FB page, early-bird tickets go on sale this Thursday but no acts announced until the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Was at Lolla Chicago in 2011 and it was far and away the best festival I've been to. If they closely replicate the setup they have in Chicago in Berlin then I'd be well up for this regardless of lineup.

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Was at Lolla Chicago in 2011 and it was far and away the best festival I've been to. If they closely replicate the setup they have in Chicago in Berlin then I'd be well up for this regardless of lineup.

What made it so good? All I've seen is video's on YouTube and its hard to tell what to expect from those

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭davidrowe

Lollapalooza were going to stage a festival in Israel last year, but the plan fell through, allegedly because they couldn't get enough artists to visit the country. I always thought that the line-up for it looked great over the years, and considered attending in Chicago (a city that I have enjoyed visiting in the past). But I have just read allegations that the founder of the festival, Perry Farrell from Jane's Addiction, raised money for Israeli soldiers in 2008/09. I'm going to have to do a bit more reading about how closely he is involved before I consider the prospect of attending the festival in Berlin.

• Advertisement

lc180 wrote: »
    What made it so good? All I've seen is video's on YouTube and its hard to tell what to expect from those

Weather and location played a great part. Chicago summer weather was fantastic bar the mad rain on the last night and being right in the heart of the city was amazing too with the cities lit up skyscrapers being the backdrop to the stages later on in the day, and also being able to get a local train home after each day was a big bonus.

Apart from this, logistically the whole setup of the festival was brilliant. There were enough portaloos that the longest you'd have to wait would be 1 or 2 people, most of the time no wait. Same for the bars, they were dotted everywhere and there was never more then a 2 - 3 person wait at the worst times. Also free water stations everywhere where they'd fill up your bottle/carton/container. The food was also very good, with loads of local and popular restaurants having a presence at the festival in two specially located areas in the park, so the choice was very diverse, as opposed to generic burger vans set up everywhere.

There was lots to do as well with loads of fun and interesting things to see and corporately sponsored tents giving you plenty to see and so besides just the music. For example, Sony had 2 tents set up, in one they had PS3s with multiplayer games set up and new tech to show off, another they had mini-DV handheld cameras that they allowed you to rent for free (had to give an ID as insurance for them), and you could keep it for the day and film whatever you liked and then come back and use their public computers to upload your videos to facebook/youtube/wherever. They also had a tent set up showing the history of Lolla with notable events, band performances, and pieces on display because this was the 20th anniversary year. That's just a few examples! Also loads of freebies given out, sunglasses, bandanas, sweat bands etc. And just generally a great buzz around the place and interesting folks to meet, made plenty of friends at it.

I've never been to Berlin in September but the weather looks like it'll be decent, if not exactly Chicago summer weather. In terms of location, a disused airport within city limits (15mins on the U or S-bahn from central points in the city) will make for a very convenient and unique venue for the festival so already it's shaping up to be pretty cool. Berlin is a great city also. Will just have to wait and see how it turns out, I might just take a chance on it though.

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Weather and location played a great part. Chicago summer weather was fantastic bar the mad rain on the last night and being right in the heart of the city was amazing too with the cities lit up skyscrapers being the backdrop to the stages later on in the day, and also being able to get a local train home after each day was a big bonus.

Apart from this, logistically the whole setup of the festival was brilliant. There were enough portaloos that the longest you'd have to wait would be 1 or 2 people, most of the time no wait. Same for the bars, they were dotted everywhere and there was never more then a 2 - 3 person wait at the worst times. Also free water stations everywhere where they'd fill up your bottle/carton/container. The food was also very good, with loads of local and popular restaurants having a presence at the festival in two specially located areas in the park, so the choice was very diverse, as opposed to generic burger vans set up everywhere.

There was lots to do as well with loads of fun and interesting things to see and corporately sponsored tents giving you plenty to see and so besides just the music. For example, Sony had 2 tents set up, in one they had PS3s with multiplayer games set up and new tech to show off, another they had mini-DV handheld cameras that they allowed you to rent for free (had to give an ID as insurance for them), and you could keep it for the day and film whatever you liked and then come back and use their public computers to upload your videos to facebook/youtube/wherever. They also had a tent set up showing the history of Lolla with notable events, band performances, and pieces on display because this was the 20th anniversary year. That's just a few examples! Also loads of freebies given out, sunglasses, bandanas, sweat bands etc. And just generally a great buzz around the place and interesting folks to meet, made plenty of friends at it.

I've never been to Berlin in September but the weather looks like it'll be decent, if not exactly Chicago summer weather. In terms of location, a disused airport within city limits (15mins on the U or S-bahn from central points in the city) will make for a very convenient and unique venue for the festival so already it's shaping up to be pretty cool. Berlin is a great city also. Will just have to wait and see how it turns out, I might just take a chance on it though.

You are after selling it to me :cool::cool:

Line-up for this will be announced on March 2nd:

https://twitter.com/LollapaloozaDe/status/567331326605291520

Not a single rumour so far. I already have my tickets and accommodation organised since January. Heading with a few mates and making a proper 4 day long weekend trip out of it with a full day each side of the festival to take in all that Berlin has to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭glorified g

I'd heard nothing about this until I saw the thread now. I was at lolla 13 in Chicago and it was by far and away the best festival I've ever been to. What is the best airport to fly into for this? Depending on line up I'd be very tempted to head over. Was looking at Down The Rabbit Hole festival but this could be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

looks stonewall like serge from Kasabian IMHO on the cover.

I'd heard nothing about this until I saw the thread now. I was at lolla 13 in Chicago and it was by far and away the best festival I've ever been to. What is the best airport to fly into for this? Depending on line up I'd be very tempted to head over. Was looking at Down The Rabbit Hole festival but this could be better.

Yeah, I was there in '11, but I've talked a lot about that a couple of posts above :pac:

Berlin Schoenfeld is the main one all the airlines fly into (Ryanair, Aer Lingus etc), and the actual festival will be taking place at the former Templehof airport near the centre of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

I am insanely excited for this

Bit dissappointing for me ... Any acts that interests me will hopefully be playing at electric picnic... Lineup >>> .lo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

... Lol... lapalooza

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Going to lolla arg in 3 weeks.. Slightly better line up.

Advertisement