Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendtations for historical fiction books?

Options
  • 06-11-2014 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

I'm looking for a decent novel set ca. 1930s to early '40s, ideally something that might include a maritime theme to the story. I tried reading Louis L'Amour's "West From Singapore", but the book was just a bit too Hollywood for me in the way it told the story. I did really like the ideas of plots involving pre-war intrigue though, and the maritime aspect was right up my street. If there was a book with a similar setting but a bit more realism in the story, it'd be great to hear about. Pre-war Asia would be my main focus, but I'd also be interested in reading stuff set in Europe during the same period.
    Anyone know of anything like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Heard very good things about The Caine Mutiny which would fit your dates and maritime theme:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Caine_Mutiny

Haven't read it myself but it's on the to-read list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 MvN

That looks like an interesting one, Morzadec. Thanks for sharing. I'll keep an eye out for it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Whilst not strickly maritime, there are the works of Nevil Shute on the events of that era and how they affected ordinary people as well as Evelyn Waugh's rather saterical works such as "Put out more flags", concerning the upper classes folly and bravery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 MvN

Thanks Manach. I'll do a bit of research on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Burmese Days by George Orwell or the Singapore Grip by JG Farrell might be worth a look.

• Advertisement
Advertisement