Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knotty pine!

Options
  • 06-11-2014 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

I got a quote for sitting room 4 presses and writing table with adjoining presses either side of fireplace quoted 1400!euro.
    Knotty pine was agreed. Today I got a call saying he cannot source knotty pine and the nearest is pine. We gave to go with that.

2 questions is pine cheaper than knotty pine?
    Anyone know where knotty pine sheets can be got .dublin meath Kildare area.?

Thks a lot

Paddy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

'Knotty pine' is a name given to low end spruce timber, used where the knots don't matter too much such as floorboards. In fact most manufacturers try to get rid of knots and the only pure pine sheetboard I know of is laminboard.
    The stuff is available everywhere in the rough. A joiner would have no problem planning it down to the required dimensions although it should be dried out for a month if possible.
    The knots can be hard on planer blades and I wonder if he is trying to avoid it for that reason ?
    Its a look you either love or hate, personally I think its a bit cheapo cheapo looking and I'd use Southern Yellow Pine or Douglas Fir if I could find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi 2012paddy
    An good bulders mechant will carry this product. I presume you are talking about knotty pine mdf board. it's normally available in 15mm or 18mm.
    NW

Advertisement