Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Film Festival 2014

Options
  • 06-11-2014 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭

Haven't seen a thread on this so far so figured I'd fire one up

No idea where the year has gone as I went to the opening night in the Opera house last year to see 'Nebraska' which was really, really good and sparked an interest in the festival which I hope to keep up.

Official site is here:
    http://www.corkfilmfest.org/

List of features: Here

I've gotten tickets for the below and would recommend them based on the trailers. I'm open to others recommending additional features to check out too :)

Enemy

The Imitation Game

All is by my side

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

D'Agger wrote: »
    Haven't seen a thread on this so far so figured I'd fire one up

No idea where the year has gone as I went to the opening night in the Opera house last year to see 'Nebraska' which was really, really good and sparked an interest in the festival which I hope to keep up.

Official site is here:
    http://www.corkfilmfest.org/

List of features: Here

I've gotten tickets for the below and would recommend them based on the trailers. I'm open to others recommending additional features to check out too :)

Enemy

The Imitation Game

All is by my side

Triskel, Saturday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

good recommendations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Are there any promo codes for tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

northgirl wrote: »
    Are there any promo codes for tickets?
    I don't have any I'm afraid - All is by my side is only €6 for tickets though which is well below the usual price of €10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

D'Agger wrote: »
    I don't have any I'm afraid - All is by my side is only €6 for tickets though which is well below the usual price of €10

Cheers I'm going to the Drop which is €10 - will still go just chancing my arm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Thanks for recommendations. It takes an effort to work through the programme.

I think I'll kick-off tonight with A Hard Day

That looks good! Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Went to "Charlies Country" last night which was excellent but the lowest attended opening film I have ever seen, the stalls were two thirds full at an optimistic best.
    I'm trying to plan the rest of the week but all the films I want to see are on in the mornings or afternoons, just dross most evenings, whoever planned the schedule has obviously never worked 9-5. Guaranteed way to destroy a previously successful festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I saw "1971" earlier. Very good. True story of illegal FBI surveillance (now there's a surprise!) revealed by activists who broke-in to local FBI office and stole all the files.

Here's one with rave reviews on IMDB. "The Debt" (1999) Polish entrepeneurs get involved with Russian gangsters. Allegedly based on true events.
    Tuesday 1900 at The Gate

The Imitation Game last night - was a great start to the festival for me.

Brilliant story with great performances, not simply by Cumberbatch, but the supporting cast also - Mark Strong, Matthew Goode, Knightly etc. were all brilliant in their interactions with Cumberbatch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

It's getting depressing now, I didn't expect to see much during the week, but as hard as I try there is nothing billed on friday or saturday that would make me want to drive in to town for. 2 or 3 on sunday (someone in scheduling doesn't plan to work on monday morning!).

I used to take days off to wallow in the Opera House watching great cinema, I volunteered, I loved the Festival. It's all gone down the pan with a festival director who doesn't even live in Ireland never mind Cork.

The closing Gala is 2001 A Space Oddysey 1968! FFS!! A cult classic but not a Gala by any means and 2 hours 21 minutes on a sunday night is proof that they are not living in the real world.

Went to Enemy last night

Good performance from Gyllenhall & the supporting cast but the ending.....wtf! I wasn't alone in that either - there was some laughter and a few 'What?!!' 's from the crowd.

Wouldn't recommend going to see this tbh 5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Might be a stupid question, but if I book tickets for a screening, where do I actually pick the tickets up? Looking to book tickets for 2001 tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

There'll be someone with a box walking around in the foyer of the Opera House with the tickets in the half hour before the film starts so just bring your booking confirmation. I think you can collect them from the box office until 6 or something but I have no idea where the box office actually is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Thanks for that. It's not the clearest on their website and didn't want to take the chance of booking the tickets and then not being able to collect them anywhere.

It looks like there is a box office in the Gate as well, so I might as well book the tickets.

Wrapped up my festival with Jimi: All is by my side

I don't know what I was expecting but it was a decent afternoon movie to take in, however, there was nothing particularly special about it, it looks at his early days, moving to London. Overall it was a bit disjointed at times but I thought André3000 gave a credible performance and was well backed up by Imogen Poots (who I liked in Need for Speed) Hayley Atwell & Ruth Nega - who I recognized from Love/Hate season 1

Was happy with my festival outings this year and I think The Imitation Game is my movie of the year so far - if you haven't seen it - DO!

Hope you all had enjoyable festivals also! :)

Advertisement