Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

V shape vs U shape.... Advice needed

Options
  • 06-11-2014 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

I recently bought Chinese import carbon clinchers. The front wheel broke on me so I sent it back to the manufacturer. They are sending me a replacement but are telling me that all the U shaped are out of stock and they have V shape left and is it ok to send on one of those? I don't have a clue what the difference is... Are they pulling a fast one on me... Any advice would be appreciated! Wait for a U shape or take the V?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

u shape supposedly bit more aerodynamic at the same time there is no wind tunnel data avaialble of chinese wheels so you never know anyways....
    v shape tends to be fastest with narrow tyres 19-21mm
    u shape tends to be fastest with 23-25 mm tyres which is a good thing for irish roads .

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭billy121

Trig1 wrote: »
    I recently bought Chinese import carbon clinchers. The front wheel broke on me so I sent it back to the manufacturer. They are sending me a replacement but are telling me that all the U shaped are out of stock and they have V shape left and is it ok to send on one of those? I don't have a clue what the difference is... Are they pulling a fast one on me... Any advice would be appreciated! Wait for a U shape or take the V?

You mind me asking how it broke? Is it a crack or a rim failure? I was considering buying some chinese wheels from an e-bay dealer but dont like the sound of wheels breaking. Would you mind providing the supplier, PM if you do not want to put on the forum

Agree with Peters comments on U vs V
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

billy121 wrote: »
    You mind me asking how it broke? Is it a crack or a rim failure? I was considering buying some chinese wheels from an e-bay dealer but dont like the sound of wheels breaking. Would you mind providing the supplier, PM if you do not want to put on the forum

Agree with Peters comments on U vs V
    Cheers

Had Carbon rims and they actually melted on a long downhill wet section due to heat from friction with brake pads... Used the cork board brake pads provided... They were ultra light 60mm carbon clinchers I bought from Arron bikes on eBay

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭billy121

Thsts the supplier I was looking at. They say that those rims can withstand high temps, thats not good but atleast it wasn't a rim failure. Thanks for the info

Advertisement