Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Casual Workers working for free for Charity dilmena

Options
  • 06-11-2014 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

Every year a friend of mine is asked to work a shift for free / his wages will be 'donated' to the Charity on that night.

It used to be done with fairly good grace and there was an acceptance that it would be a fun night but in recent years the venue has sought to gain sales by leaving bars and food outlets open past the norm. Obviously none of the profits go to the charity.

My own thinking is the employees should donate if they want to and not be forced to do this. However, they are all casual staff and terrified of rocking the boat. Parking, petrol and childcare expenses have to be factored in too. Donating time is one thing..

Suck it up or question the fairness?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 daisybun

It certainly sounds very unfair that they feel they can't say no to it. Donation to charity should be a personal choice both in terms of the amount and the charity donated to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

One choice is taken out of the equation it's no longer charity imo. I wouldn't be happy about it at all if I were in that position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

If the venue is not donating its takings for the night then it is not charity it is just exploitation. Basically the venue makes itself look good without any cost to itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

The venue should donate an amount to match someone's wages while the workers still get paid.

Working for free while the company takes in a profit sounds very illegal.

OP, what is the name of this establishment so I can avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

Have to say I agree entirely with the above. There is a terror about raising this issue with the managers and agencies who get the staff in for the night. You don't show up or 'volunteer' and you wont be getting a call back.

Normal shift is 4 hours. Many staff had to do 5 1/2 last year because the bars remained open.

I suppose it would take a brave person to say this is out of order though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Wait, wages are donated but profits are kept?

That management can fúck right off with that bullshít.

Beano wrote: »
    If the venue is not donating its takings for the night then it is not charity it is just exploitation. Basically the venue makes itself look good without any cost to itself.

I suppose they allow the event to be held for free. Provide the staff to run it etc, the profiteering from food and alcohol sales leaves a bad taste though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'm probably one of the worst on here for criticising workers for having too many rights and entitlements, but that's just not on at all. If you're good enough to work, you're good enough to get paid. Let the firm match the wages to give to charity if they want, but if they tried that trick on me I'd be jacked in two minutes flat.

Another thing is that it affects casual staff who are claiming Unemployment benefit or assistance aswell as doing these irregular shifts. This is factored in as work irrespective of payment or not.

The more I think about this the more appalling it is.

Well this gets worse and worse! Shame on them for exploiting staff like that.

I would love if you could name and shame them!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Another thing is that it affects casual staff who are claiming Unemployment benefit or assistance aswell as doing these irregular shifts. This is factored in as work irrespective of payment or not.

The more I think about this the more appalling it is.

It should be factored as volunteering which you're allowed do without it affecting anything, IIRC.

Still appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

I'd take the boss aside and say that I can no longer afford to do a shift for free and I will not be available for it this year. Keep it to quiet too. Let others look after themselves. If the company ask or at least used to ask if you'd do it for free then I'd just say they seem alright enough that your friend can opt out without too much hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭guest2014

give us a hint who they are

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Not being bad, but we're talking about one four hour shift a year here.

Giving away €35 or so isn't extortionate. I get that you're indirectly forced into it due to the nature of casual contracts, but it's hardly sending you to the poor house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Fair play to the staff for giving up their own time and hours for a worthy cause.

But shame on the owners and staff for taking advantage of this event.

But not sure what can be done, very brave worker to risk loosing all their hours or contracts, unless there is a united staff, what can be done?

Giving away €35 or so isn't extortionate. I get that you're indirectly forced into it due to the nature of casual contracts, but it's hardly sending you to the poor house.

I would disagree. The fact that they are receiving income support in the form of welfare suggests that the €35 would mean a huge amount - especially at what can be a very expensive time of year for people (if not for luxuries like gifts etc then certainly for additional heating bills)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Lads theres no POINT in trying to work out which venue or event might be referenced here.

No ones going to throw us a line, not even a child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

skywalker wrote: »
    Lads theres no POINT in trying to work out which venue or event might be referenced here.

No ones going to throw us a line, not even a child.

That's surrender talk that is!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Maybe an anonymous leak to the local newspapers might put a stop to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Most volunteers are not out-of-pocket - their expenses are often paid. If the workers are paying for parking, childminding etc, they are effectively PAYING to volunteer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Without knowing every individuals circumstances you have no idea what the €35 means.

For some 35 quid could mean going hungry for a couple of days. You can get a serious amount of food in aldi/lidl for 35 quid that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

OP maybe your friend should contact the charity about what they are doing. I cant imagine a charity being too happy about their donations coming from the exploitation of low wage employees. Also revenue might need to make sure that this company isnt using their donations of wages as a tax write off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,355 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I wouldn't do it on principle. It sounds like the company is giving nothing to the charity out of their own pocket but riding on the back of the goodwill generated by it. They should be donating the profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I'd like to hear the management side to this story. Bet there is more to it.

All a bit one sided for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I suspect this started as a nice idea by some well-meaning staff member who got a couple of them together to donate their wages one year. The next year more people got involved and by year 5 it became the normal thing to do. The company probably felt it was none of their business, it's a staff thing, but now the management run the "event".

Tbh, people need to grow a backbone. If you're being asked to do something, then by implication you can say no. If your friend doesn't want to do it, he can say no. He actually stands to gain something; people respect someone who expresses their own opinion rather than always rowing in with the crowd.

seamus wrote: »
    I suspect this started as a nice idea by some well-meaning staff member who got a couple of them together to donate their wages one year. The next year more people got involved and by year 5 it became the normal thing to do. The company probably felt it was none of their business, it's a staff thing, but now the management run the "event".

Tbh, people need to grow a backbone. If you're being asked to do something, then by implication you can say no. If your friend doesn't want to do it, he can say no. He actually stands to gain something; people respect someone who expresses their own opinion rather than always rowing in with the crowd.

I think it could be more to do with the Irish being too proud to say 'I'm bloody skint, can't afford to work for free'.

There's even a Chill insurance ad on the same subject, we pretend like money doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Caliden wrote: »
    I think it could be more to do with the Irish being too proud to say 'I'm bloody skint, can't afford to work for free'.

There's even a Chill insurance ad on the same subject, we pretend like money doesn't matter.

It's not about being too proud. It's because we sit on our holes complaining but don't do anything about things that bother us.

I'll guarantee you that if anyone in the workplace of the op complains, you'll have a dozen more people give out about the guy for standing up for himself.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

bluewolf wrote: »
    It should be factored as volunteering which you're allowed do without it affecting anything, IIRC.

Still appalling.
    eh, no because you are not available for work while volunteering

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

eh, no because you are not available for work while volunteering

It's a bit more technical than that. You can claim social welfare and be on the live register, while also volunteering with a charity registered with the Revenue Office.

It's a fairly recent development though, but you get a form from the DSP, the charity you want to work for, say the project manager fills out the form, and you return it to the DSP.

What the OP is describing though simply sounds like their employer taking advantage of what was once a good will gesture. There's SFA the OP can really do about it though except refuse to voluntarily donate their wages for the hours they've worked. I can't see management offering to negotiate when there's profit to be made.

Advertisement