Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Temperature needle not moving

Options
  • 06-11-2014 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭

Hi,

Today I noticed that my temp needle did not move once during a 50 min drive, The car seemed to be running fine.

Just thinking ever since I had the car the heater only blew very slightly warm air, just enough to clear the window. the temp needle always sat just below the middle.

What would the most likely culprit be, the thermostat or the temp sensor?

the car is a 00 clio 1.2

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,577 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Did you check coolant level?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭akura

joujoujou wrote: »
    Did you check coolant level?

Yeah it was fine, and there was no sludge under the oil cap

Unregistered Users

Could be a sensor alright, but loose connection somewhere as well.

And heat up the engine very well and touch both radiator hoses - if they're hot, then it's not thermostat (likely).

Could be a sensor alright, but loose connection somewhere as well.

And heat up the engine very well and touch both radiator hoses - if they're hot, then it's not thermostat (likely).

Thanks Jou I'll try that out, Just a question is it the hose before after the thermostat i touch?

Thanks again:)

Unregistered Users

No problem. :)

Just touch both hoses near radiator - between radiator and all the rest of the stuff. ;)

And more thoughts I had since my last post - thermostat would not cause temp needle problem - faulty thermostat would give either too low or too high temperature, depends if stuck open or closed. But both would be indicated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If it's an open thermostat the needle should move a bit so to me this sounds like sensor possibly (if needle is stuck on 0).

Plan B - bang the dash a few times :D

Unregistered Users

biko wrote: »
    [...]

327531.jpg

No problem. :)

Just touch both hoses near radiator - between radiator and all the rest of the stuff. ;)

And more thoughts I had since my last post - thermostat would not cause temp needle problem - faulty thermostat would give either too low or too high temperature, depends if stuck open or closed. But both would be indicated.
    biko wrote: »
    If it's an open thermostat the needle should move a bit so to me this sounds like sensor possibly (if needle is stuck on 0).

Thanks guys. when i got home and shut off the car and then restarted it the needle moved slightly to where i have the red line but droped back to the bottom after two seconds at most

I have a new sensor ordered and it looks really easy to change so not so bad

BChU8yp.gif

Thanks for the help:)

Unregistered Users

No problem, keep us updated. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Volvoair

some coolant will come out when you remove the sensor ....so be ready to catch it or top up bottle afterwards.

• Advertisement

No problem, keep us updated. :)
    I will do. Hopefully I will get it on Monday
    Volvoair wrote: »
    some coolant will come out when you remove the sensor ....so be ready to catch it or top up bottle afterwards.

Thanks for the tip :)

Bit of a fail:(....
    So i got the sensor and the thermostat

I got the thermostat changed but i couldnt find the right sized socket to remove the sensor so i left that for another day. so i refilled the tank bled it at the thermostat and started the car for about 5 mins topping it up when needed then put the rad cap on and ran it for 10mins at 2500rpm but the heaters never got hot. the rad fan kicked in after i stop revving it .

I'm going to get a new socket and change it tomorrow or saturday and hopefully be done with it

One last thing when i put the old thermostat in a bucket of warm water it exploded lol:pac:

Got the new coolant sensor in today and it's working perfect but still blowing cold :(

the old sensor was very cursty :eek:

I'm going to bring it to a mechanic and hopefully get it sorted

Unregistered Users

So temp on dash shows as it supposed to, right?

The only thing you've left to sort is cold air going from vents, right?

I'd assume is faulty/blocked/air filled heater unit or its control valve maybe.

So temp on dash shows as it supposed to, right?

Yeah the temp on the dash gets to where it is supposed to be and stay's there. It's also getting up to temperature faster than it did before which is good.

The only thing you've left to sort is cold air going from vents, right?

I'd assume is faulty/blocked/air filled heater unit or its control valve maybe.

Yeah it's still blowing cold which sucks, I know a good mechanic who hopefully will find out what's wrong with it.

In the meantime i've ordered a 12v ceramic heater from ebay:D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

The interior heater - there should be 2 pipes at the back of the engine going into the back of the dash where there is a heater core. Can you reach in behind the dash to see if its warm? Or maybe you can get to it on the engine bay side. If its hot, is the fan spinning? If not, is a fuse blown for it or maybe there's a sticky relay.

Im not sure of the clio setup, but just a few thoughts.

Advertisement