Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Libraries in Kildare/Dublin

Options
  • 06-11-2014 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anybody knows of any good libraries in the Kildare area or Dublin area. I am not a student anymore so probably can't access the University libraries (?). I was looking online at dublin city libraries and it seems you have to live or work in Dublin to become a member, which I don't.

My local library has a very poor selection so any suggestions would be very welcome, cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Apparently Kildare has 15 library branches so perhaps there is another branch quite close to your local one that you could visit. There is also a Mobile Library service so you could check where they visit.

While your local library might have a limited selection you can request items from other branches in the county. It costs 40c per item here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Talk to the librarian. The selection held will reflect the preferences of the users so often tends to be mostly romances, westerns, etc. They will be happy to get the type of books you want but if you don't tell them they can't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

I use both Dublin City and Fingal libraries. I find that the online ordering service is great, I use it all the time for books/DVDs/box sets etc. If the book you want is not at your local library, it is very easy to search for it and you can collect it at your local library, or the librarian would be only too happy to help you.

I often go into a book shop, write down the brand new books that I'd like to read, then order them in the library. I know, I'm going on a bit here, but it's just such a wonderful service. It's 50 cents each time you order, cheaper than buying the book. Enjoy it. (You can tell - I love libraries!).

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭rock whore

it depends what you are looking for.

You mentioned the university libraries which indicates that you might be looking for academic books. Public libraries generally don't stock academic books because of the cost and low demand, and the fact that students just don't return them.

If you are looking for general interest books then sign up at your local library and use borrowbooks to order from libraries around the country to your local branch. This site allows you to order items that are not available in your local authority libraries for the same price as a local request. Some local authorities withdrew from the scheme because of recessionary cutbacks but check with your local branch or mobile library.

Next year the public libraries will be unifying their online catalogues so that any item available in the public library system nationwide will be available through your local branch.

Advertisement