Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Brands of car battery

Options
  • 06-11-2014 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭

Well,
    I have noticed in the cold mornings she isnt starting as well as she should so I had the lad in the motor factors test the battery and when he put it under a load she wasnt holding her charge.

This is a lucas battery with a sticker saying premium stuck to the side which I got about two and a half years ago for €65. It had a 2 year guarantee. The motor factors stock the same brand so I am thinking that maybe it might be a crap model of battery?

I was wondering what ye thought lads. From looking at past threads it looks like bosch/varta are the way to go.

Would the quality of a battery sold by a main dealer be any good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Main dealers should fit the oe battery which should be decent. Bosch, Varta, Yuasa are good batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

Thanks Roger

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Batts can have quite a wide span depending on various factors. But yeah go with a name brand, should be ok.

Wherever sells car batteries will take the old battery for recycling for free.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

biko wrote: »

Wherever sells car batteries will take the old battery for recycling for free.

They will of course as they get a few euro to scrap it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Bosch or varta is all Iv used

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

They will of course as they get a few euro to scrap it.

That's it the lead is worth a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's a WEEE directive so they must accept old batteries for recycling. You don't even have to buy another battery, they must still accept an old one.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

Any battery should last more than 2 1/2 years and I would have no confidence in a lad in a factors doing a test. If you ask them how it works they will not have a clue.

Lucas generally have a bad name but for years they were supplied by Yausa who are a reputable Japanese company. Since then Lucas have merged with Varity who are American. I would have no problem with a Lucas battery.

The present battery may only need a good charge using a battery conditioner, and it would also be wise to check the output of the alternator on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

http://www.europower.ie/automotive-car-batteries.htm

I find these lads good to deal with if you are around Dublin. Banner would be my preference or Yuasa.
    I think they deliver but not sure what their return policy is. Most courier companies won't accept batteries and if they do they'll charge a fortune for it; something to do with how used batteries are classified.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

Thanks lads picked up a replacement speaker for the car in a scrap yard yesterday who happen to sell yuasa batteries so at least I have a spare in the boot and wont be stranded.

Thanks all

• Advertisement
Advertisement