Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding Venues

Options
  • 05-11-2014 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi...
    I'm just recently engaged and am now looking at possible wedding venues. We are looking for something not too formal and had taken a look at Falllon&Byrne in Dublin city centre. I know that the food is lovely and I think it would be perfect for something low key but the room only seems to be available until 1.30am. It seems a bit early to cut a wedding short. Wondering if anyone has had a wedding there and found this an issue or if anyone has any ideas on where to carry on the party afterwards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,334 ✭✭✭✭fits

Would there be any children at your wedding? We thought about Fallon and Byrne also but as we are the last to marry in two big families, it just wouldn't suit with all the kids. (in my opinion)

If it were all adults you could rock on over to the long hall or stagshead after.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DB 34

Thanks ! No there won't be many children, we are one of the first to get married so not many nieces / nephews. Stags head / Long Haul good. In a way I'm kind of afraid that the atmosphere will be lost if people have to move so maybe its not the most suitable venue.

For a city wedding i'd love to take a look at no. 25 Fitzwilliam place.

The royal hospital kilmainham might be worth a look too.

I didn't even realise that royal hospital kilmainham did weddings - will defo have a look at that !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

DB 34 wrote: »
    I didn't even realise that royal hospital kilmainham did weddings - will defo have a look at that !

I'd say it's lovely.

Also Have you looked at No 10 Ormond Quay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

fits (and everyone else) - any opinions on where is a good venue for lots of kids?

Not sure yet if we're going for the with kids or without kids option but if it's with kids I think there's about 30 under 5's who'd be accompanying their parents.

fits (and everyone else) - any opinions on where is a good venue for lots of kids?

You are asking me. We are going for a manor house with big gardens and exclusive hire. And on-site sitters. That's for 13 children though. Non nieces/nephews are not invited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Not sure yet if we're going for the with kids or without kids option but if it's with kids I think there's about 30 under 5's who'd be accompanying their parents.

My idea of a worst nightmare wedding... Keep it to nieces/nephews. 30 under 5's sounds hellish (I've and I've 3 under 5's at home).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

30 under fives? That's a kids party wedged into your wedding!
    Fallon and Byrne is not kid friendly, and that was one of its appeals to us, but we didn't go with them in the end. Do you really want that many kids at your wedding? It'll really dictate how the day goes.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,913 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

lazygal wrote: »
    30 under fives? That's a kids party wedged into your wedding!
    Fallon and Byrne is not kid friendly, and that was one of its appeals to us, but we didn't go with them in the end. Do you really want that many kids at your wedding? It'll really dictate how the day goes.
    Hell that's a montessori wedged into your wedding! I love kids and I had a rake of them at my wedding - 20 odd, I think - but they weren't all under 5. I'm struggling to think of any venue that'd be ideal for a wedding with that many children. Would all of them HAVE to go, I mean is there any way you could bring the numbers down a tad? I think if I was in your situation what I'd do is look online etc at venues that you like, but before going to view ring them and explain what the story is and see what they say.

• Advertisement

I am all for including children too but 30 under fives is just going to be bedlam, and not enjoyable for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I'm probably exaggerating slightly with 30, and a few of them will be 5 by the time of the wedding, but with me 33 and the groom 39, and being the last of my friends to get married . . .

Of the 7 cousins I care more about being there, 1 has 3 kids, 1 has 2 kids and three have 1 kid. The oldest will be 6, and four were born in the last 18 months. Two of the families live in Ireland outside Dublin and two of them (with kids) live abroad.
    Of the 8 friends I'd really like there, 1 has 3 kids, 1 has 2 kids, 2 have 1 kid. 1 child in each of those four has been born in the last 18 months. 3 of those families live outside Dublin.
    The grooms side has fewer children overall but most of them are international.
    If I invite the kids of the cousins I really want there, then the kids of their siblings (who I also want there, but am less close to) will also have to be invited. . . and so on, it adds up fast.

All those people are probably talking about overnight babysitters for young kids or we have a wedding with a lot of kids.

The general idea for the wedding does lend itself to lots of kids.
    We'll have the ceremony on the Friday for immediate family only (two kids!) and a party on the Saturday.

The details of the party haven't been decided yet, which is why I'm thinking about venues.
    Option 1 is to start the party at say 2pm, big buffet, casual seating, more indoor summer party than wedding. Wind that up at about 9pm and have an area reserved in a pub for after that. Kids for the first part, let them go home/hotel to bed for the second part and the parents can either stay with them or continue with the no children contingent.

Option 2 would be adults only and probably start around dinner time, with the usual sit down dinner & band & dj Irish wedding style.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

30 under 5s? That's just ridiculous. Either invite them all (completely inappropriate IMO as a wedding is not a suitable place for that many young children) or invite none.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

OP don't feel like you've to invite children you don't want there. Unless you're totally fine with it, you get to decide which children get an invite and the parents can decide on that basis whether to attend. We don't bring our children to weddings, we sort out our own arrangements and if the wedding really doesn't suit us because of the children we simply send regrets and wish the couple well.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

You're also assuming all those people want to bring their children to a wedding. I have a two year old and I'd never bring her to a friend's wedding. In fact my husband and I enjoy spending the day at a wedding just the two of us, having a few drinks, an uninterrupted adult meal and relaxing.

I'd only consider bringing her to a very close family wedding (brother/sister). We got married recently and my daughter and my niece were the only children there. We had a very short civil ceremony but my mother spent the whole ceremony walking around with my daughter while she tried to blow out all the candles, repeatedly shouted 'ribbit' really loudly during our vows and generally chatted her little head off throughout. While it was very cute because she's ours I can only imagine the disruption if there 30 toddlers there!

Edited to add: sorry I've just noticed you're not having all those children at the ceremony. My point about parents perhaps not wanting to bring their children stands. Bringing children to a party/adult gathering is a pain. You spend the whole time chasing around after them and entertaining them and don't get to speak to anyone for longer than a minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Suggest a single sticky thread on this forum on kids at a wedding and all mention of it from thereon should be banned with a link back to it. Every 2 weeks, its the same arguments. Hrumph!!! :mad:

:)
    anyway, I know this thread got slightly sidetracked, informal weddings can take any form you want, hire restaraunts, halls and head on somewhere else and see where the night takes you.
    city centre venues all seem to have a "you only get us exclusively until a certain time and then its public get let in."
    It wouldnt stop me, 2 best parties I was at in the last few years were in odessa where some randomers started creeping in after 1, sure everyone was well on at that stage and noone cared. Great conversations ensued.
    odessa have a dance floor, great sound system and great food, highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭superman28

I would ban all kids from the wedding, let people have a break IMO, ,but that's not what your asking,,

Have you looked at the Royal College of Physicians? It is a really amazing building and a bit unusual/different..

http://www.rcpi.ie/content/docs/000001/636_5_media.pdf

Suggest a single sticky thread on this forum on kids at a wedding and all mention of it from thereon should be banned with a link back to it. Every 2 weeks, its the same arguments. Hrumph!!! :mad:

:)
    anyway, I know this thread got slightly sidetracked, informal weddings can take any form you want, hire restaraunts, halls and head on somewhere else and see where the night takes you.
    city centre venues all seem to have a "you only get us exclusively until a certain time and then its public get let in."
    It wouldnt stop me, 2 best parties I was at in the last few years were in odessa where some randomers started creeping in after 1, sure everyone was well on at that stage and noone cared. Great conversations ensued.
    odessa have a dance floor, great sound system and great food, highly recommend.

Thanks for that. You are right...its a good idea to think outside the box when it comes to informal weddings. Some great suggestions. Thanks ! Odessa is great upstairs always a good night there !

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

One fab day have a gorgeous wedding in the west in today if you want to see inside. It looks fab

Advertisement