Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Air Corp: Coastal Defence Capability?

Options
  • 05-11-2014 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭

Hi lads, total noob so forgive anything I may have wrong.

I was just wondering, you know how the navy is charged with coastal defense as in watching for drug shipments and the like, don't the Air Corp have a recon element alongside them?

I remember seeing the planes they have, (Cessena and a PC9 if I'm right?) and thinking they don't seem that equipped.

I don't mean as in being able to match the best Russian MiGs in a dogfight kinda equipped :P What I mean is say they are re-conning our coastal area and spot a large vessel which has drugs on board and for whatever reason they had a rocket or large caliber gun to fire at them, do they even have rockets that could be used to defend themselves? Or are they meant to fly off and let the gun boat any possible fighting?

While we're on it are there any neighboring countries that have some sort of fighters you'd think would be a good and realistic upgrade for this kinda work?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

The CASA 235 would be the aircraft used in routine maritime patrols, not the PC-9s or the Cessna 172s. 172 could be used for inshore surveillance.

And no, the 235s and 172s aren't armed.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭westdub

What I mean is say they are re-conning our coastal area and spot a large vessel which has drugs on board and for whatever reason they had a rocket or large caliber gun to fire at them, do they even have rockets that could be used to defend themselves? Or are they meant to fly off and let the gun boat any possible fighting?

While we're on it are there any neighboring countries that have some sort of fighters you'd think would be a good and realistic upgrade for this kinda work?

How would a aircraft of any kind be able to know that there were drugs on a vessel? It's not like any nations air force goes around shooting up any suspicious looking boat just because they think it might have some illegal cargo, Its the aircraft's job to spot the boat and then guide in a Naval vessel so that they can send a boarding party and search the target.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭The Governor

westdub wrote: »
    How would a aircraft of any kind be able to know that there were drugs on a vessel? It's not like any nations air force goes around shooting up any suspicious looking boat just because they think it might have some illegal cargo, Its the aircraft's job to spot the boat and then guide in a Naval vessel so that they can send a boarding party and search the target.

Point out exactly where I said the aircraft knew there were drugs on board and would randomly fire at it.

I said if for instance the plane was on patrol and a vessel running drugs for some reason tried to attack (say some lunatic on board ****s themselves and has something capable of damaging the plane, sue me, its a scenario) them have they the clearance and ability to defend themselves.

Engage the old brain before getting smart and taking snipes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭The Governor

Nimr wrote: »
    The CASA 235 would be the aircraft used in routine maritime patrols, not the PC-9s or the Cessna 172s. 172 could be used for inshore surveillance.

And no, the 235s and 172s aren't armed.

Thanks for the informative reply Nimr :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Point out exactly where I said the aircraft knew there were drugs on board and would randomly fire at it.

I said if for instance the plane was on patrol and a vessel running drugs for some reason tried to attack (say some lunatic on board ****s themselves and has something capable of damaging the plane, sue me, its a scenario) them have they the clearance and ability to defend themselves.

Engage the old brain before getting smart and taking snipes.

I suspect what would happen is that some surface vessels with 57mm/76mm guns on them would shortly thereafter be directed towards said lunatic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement