Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

INSULATING AN EXTERNAL WATER TANK

Options
  • 05-11-2014 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭

I have a pressurised water tank located in a shed out the back of my house. Water is pumped from my well, into this tank which then feeds the main tanks in the attic. The front of the shed is open and the tank is located in a corner of it. I had intended to build a smaller insulated shed beside the main one and move the tank to there to protect it from frost. However, due to budget constraints I couldn’t get this done this year. Is there any type of insulation/lagging I could place around this tank to protect it? A the moment it is in the corner of the shed, surrounded on 2 sides by the shed walls (bare concrete blocks), on the third side by the plinth/support for my oil tank with timber sheet blocking the top/front.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Pappacharlie

I know this sounds mad but let me share my experience. My parents house is an old bungalow with a flat roof extension to the back. The Cold water tank as well as the expansion tank are located outside on the flat roof. They used to have terrible problems with frozen pipes and tanks etc.
    I got a box made from Marine plywood and covered in mineral felt constructed around the tanks. The box is generous in size and covered by the same material plywood felt. There is no insulation inside the enclosure and there has been no freezing of any description even during the hard winters of 2009 and 2010. The air contained within the enclosure acts as a natural insulator. It does work.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jesso22

Hi, sorry for replying to an old post. I am buying a bungalow that sounds just like your parents' house, a flat roof extension and water tank on top. I am worried about freezing in the winter.
    I'm also considering having the roof externally insulated, so looking for ideas of what to do for the tank, as obviously you'd still need easy access to it. Would you have any pictures of what you did? Is it just a box that you lift off when needed to?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Pappacharlie

Hi I 'm not in a position to send you photos. However it is simple to explain. I constructed a box made of heavy Marine Plywood (3/4" I think), which I screwed together. I then covered the box with torch-on felt which I sealed down onto the roof which is also a flat felt roof. The box is then covered by a lid which slots down over the side of the box. Again this lid is covered with torch-on mineral felt. The box extends about 4" out from the tank and pipework. The lid is a "snug fit" down over the box and is held in place with a few screws just in case as it is in a very exposed area. There is a timber frame which is screwed down onto the roof which keeps everything in place during stormy weather. The box is effectively part of the roof and is totally weather proof. It isn't pretty but it is very effective. Have never had a frozen pipe or tank. Air is the ultimate insulator.

Advertisement