Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dealer selling car with 3 year old tyres?

Options
  • 05-11-2014 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭

Bought a car in Jan 2014 from a main dealer in Dublin.

From then until now I put up 8,000 miles. When I bought the car the thread on tyres looked good. I was surprised when they told me tyres were shot and dangerous to drive on when it was in for service last week. In fairness, they weren't lying. The inside of one of the rear tyres was down to the canvas in one 2" spot (which I didn't notice when inspecting tyres as it was always out of sight).

Anyhow, I fitted 2 new rear tyres that day at an indy to get me out of trouble (the front were OK for another while but I have them on order for next week)

It was only today when I went to look at the front tyres... the date of manuf. is '0411' which indicates the 4th week in 2011. So, when I bought the car, the tyres were 3 years old.

Is this illegal or simply neglectant? Or neither? I know I should have looked at date of manuf. on the tyres when buying... I guess these things I thought I could oversee considering I was buying from a main dealer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Breffnigolfer

JohnCleary wrote: »

From then until now I put up 8,000 miles. When I bought the car the thread on tyres looked good. I was surprised when they told me tyres were shot and dangerous to drive on when it was in for service last week. In fairness, they weren't lying. The inside of one of the rear tyres was down to the canvas in one 2" spot (which I didn't notice when inspecting tyres as it was always out of sight).

Anyhow, I fitted 2 new rear tyres that day at an indy to get me out of trouble (the front were OK for another while but I have them on order for next week)

It was only today when I went to look at the front tyres... the date of manuf. is '0411' which indicates the 4th week in 2011. So, when I bought the car, the tyres were 3 years old.

Is this illegal or simply neglectant? Or neither? I know I should have looked at date of manuf. on the tyres when buying... I guess these things I thought I could oversee considering I was buying from a main dealer.

3 year old tyres can be perfectly fine, provided they have been maintained correctly.

What age is the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Cheers guys, I know where I stand.

Car is a 2008. The tyres have deteriorated at a rapid pace... cracking on the sides etc.

I have front set ordered so i'll just suck it up and be done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

what car are they on? what brand are the tyre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

There's a car in our house, 2010, that still has 2 original tyres on it. If they're in good shape, why would it be illegal or negligent ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

ThisRegard wrote: »
    There's a car in our house, 2010, that still has 2 original tyres on it. If they're in good shape, why would it be illegal or negligent ?

because the rubber degrades and perishes with age? i think it's been proven that the stopping distances increase considerably on a tyre over 5 or (x) years old, even when they look in good condition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's usually no biggie, nct will just make a note for old tyres if they aren't cracked or worn down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

I don't see an issue, would you expect the seller to replace perfectly serviceable brake disc or pad just because your buying the car. You bought a 2nd hand vehicle an as such you would know some components would have a degree of wear.

1000 miles is enough mileage to cause wear to canvass if not properly aligned or inflated. 8000 miles could easily be half the life of a tyre on a road car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

if the side walls are cracking, that might be an indication of low tyre pressures...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

..... When I bought the car the thread on tyres looked good.

Isn't it standard practice for main dealers to fit a new set of tyres when selling a secondhand car i.e. a trade-in?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

coylemj wrote: »
    Isn't it standard practice for main dealers to fit a new set of tyres when selling a secondhand car i.e. a trade-in?

Why would a main dealer do that if the tyres on the car are already in good condition?

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »

According to a dealer in Drogheda, yeah, it's the done thing.

Advertisement