Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westendorf

Options
  • 05-11-2014 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    As usual when it comes to planning my annual ski trip, I'm in a Billy-no-mates position so have have joined up with either the Ski Centre or the Ski Club for their group holidays for the last few years and it's worked out really well.
    Unfortunately, the only trip left this year, is the Ski Club trip to Westendorf(Skiwelt) at the end of Feb and from what I've read, while it's very beginner friendly, there little for the upper intermediate/advanced skier.
    So folks, if you were a skier who prefers steep reds/blacks and dabbles in a bit of off piste, would you give Westendorf a miss, or would you go for it?

ps, I have skied in Soll and Kitzbuhuel a long time ago and all I can remember is fairly short runs and freeze thaw conditions. So, it didn't endear me to the area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

maybe this one be of interest?
    I've booked to go but dont know too much about it bar what the website says , looks a great deal though :)

http://wearevertigo.com/2015-ski-holiday-to-andalo-italy-with-we-are-vertigo/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    maybe this one be of interest?
    I've booked to go but dont know too much about it bar what the website says , looks a great deal though :)

http://wearevertigo.com/2015-ski-holiday-to-andalo-italy-with-we-are-vertigo/

Thanks Hawkwind23, I had a look at that and it seems to be part of the Topflight schools program, so not much use to an old fart like myself. :P
    But yeah that is the kind of thing I would be interested in. I have done the Crystal Chalet option, but it's a bit random whether you get skiers on a similar level.

no defo not a schools thing , dont think any kids are going.
    I asked all that as we have a combined age of 95 as a couple!
    ive been told its a wide range of ages going , maybe worth giving them a call or email.

Hawkwind23, it's a great price alright. However it does look a bit small(to me anyway) for a full week. Reviewers on TA think it's nearer to 30km than the 50km stated.

ah that doesnt bother us at all as we are beginners to be plenty to keep us entertained :)
    good luck with the search!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Google action outdoors aka ucpa.co.uk

Great hols. Meet tons of newppl

Thanks Dr. Nic, but having just passed 50 last month I'm a little too long in the tooth for that option. Their age range is youth to 39.
    So, seeing that even fannymagee isn't singing Westendorf's praises, I am thinking of doing a Tuesday to Sunday in Chamonix. Looking at a 3 day off-piste course and tack on the Vallee Blanche which has been on my wish list for far too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

d2ww wrote: »
    Thanks Dr. Nic, but having just passed 50 last month I'm a little too long in the tooth for that option. Their age range is youth to 39.
    So, seeing that even fannymagee isn't singing Westendorf's praises, I am thinking of doing a Tuesday to Sunday in Chamonix. Looking at a 3 day off-piste course and tack on the Vallee Blanche which has been on my wish list for far too long.

Haha!! I love Westendorf for skiing, but I'd much rather hang out in Soll once the lifts close! And a LOT has changed in Soll the past few years since you were last there! snowmaking is AMAZING now, lift infrastructure is top-class, loads of great restaurants etc.

With that said, I'm a big believer in working through the wish lists, so definitely hit the Valee Blanch, esp if you're going for off-piste. Enjoy!! :-)

Advertisement