Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

elite training plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Ghost in Cratloe

I would always take these type of articles with a pinch of salt. For example people have accused Gary O Hanlon of over racing leading up to Dublin this year yet this Jeff guy has done just exactly that. He ran a 40km long run at 2.24 marathon pace when his life time pb for the distance is 2.22 a few weeks before his target race.

This does not make any sense since he cannot recover from the 40km long run before the marathon and thus has left his race in training. He then tells us all how we are coaching the marathon wrong with too much emphasis on speed training etc. Whilst, I am all for following Canova's training principles, his training is tailored to each athlete individually. For example he advises Arne Gabius who ran 2.09 in Frankfurt.

Arne's training log is online and it shows him doing many speed workouts/ races in the final month of preparation after a series of longer 'slower' runs in the month before. Slower in this case means marathon pace plus 1 minute per mile. His double workout days do not encompass him running 10k at half marathon pace twice after 10km steady.

While I applaud Jeff for his dedication and mental fortitude during such difficult workouts the proof is in the eating of the pudding. It tells us his marathon pb is 2.22 while another boards member has a 2.17 mark. I know whose advice I would rather choose.

Racing has always come before training not the other way round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

What boards member has a 2.17 pb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Cona wrote: »
    What boards member has a 2.17 pb?

Bazman. 2nd Irish man home in Dublin this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Bazman. 2nd Irish man home in Dublin this year.

Yes, yet he was 'only' 2nd in the Athlone 3/4 Marathon 3 weeks before DCM. Goes to show the importance of treating training races as such and not running them flat out.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭ASIMON0V

Here's a link to training schedule and lactates for the winner of Dublin City Marathon this year.
    http://jamesrwalters.wix.com/eliuddcmtraining

i got the link from Perfect Pacing on f'book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭ASIMON0V

ASIMON0V wrote: »
    Here's a link to training schedule and lactates for the winner of Dublin City Marathon this year.
    http://jamesrwalters.wix.com/eliuddcmtraining

i got the link from Perfect Pacing on f'book.

Do'h - just seen the other thread!

Advertisement