Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baptisms in St.Pappin's

Options
  • 05-11-2014 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Just a quick one,

I am looking for four baptisms in the Santry area, probably St.Pappin's church, between 1897 and 1906. None of them appear on Rootsireland.

Would Roots not have these, or is it just my ones that aren't appearing? Does anyone else have baptisms in St.Pappin's around that time?

EDIT: They don't seem to exist on the NLI index.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm not sure what parish it would have been then but in both likely cases it appears the NLI films only go to the 1880s or so; meaning the records are only available in the churches or diocese still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

The RCB Library has records for Santry Church of Ireland parish which I would think should include St. Pappan's but you could ask the librarian:

http://ireland.anglican.org/cmsfiles/pdf/AboutUs/library/parregs.pdf

The parish website is here

http://pappanspeople.wordpress.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

The RC St. Pappan's church moved slightly during the mid 1800s, and was located near to Ballymun townland, and part of 'Clontarf and Coolock' parish, records for the parish are not available in the NLI. The parish seems to be listed on RootsIreland as 'Clontarf/Coolock/Raheny', with records going back to the 1770s.

The neighbouring parish to the west is 'Finglas and St. Margaret', which are included on NLI microfilm, but only cover up to 1880. I think maybe civil records might be be simpler option if the names involved are not too common...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Silly me, I forgot to ask RC or CoI.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Newstreet

Many thanks.

It's the RC church, and almost certainly St.Pappin's. There should be four baptisms, between 1897 and 1906. Three appear in the state births registration, but one around about 1905 doesn't appear at all - there is no state registration of the birth. I had hoped the church baptism would appear. But in a Roots search under Dublin, nothing.

I take it St.Pappin's church records have not been digitized at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Newstreet wrote: »
    ...I take it St.Pappin's church records have not been digitized at all.

Records should be listed under the parish rather than the individual Church, even if they took place in a secondary chapel, or chapel of ease.

Most of the records for the N. Dublin area on RootsIreland only cover up to 1899, including 'Clontarf/Coolock/Raheny' (listed as Artane etc on John Grenham/IrishTimes website), which is the most likely parish. Same cut-off for Finglas

Advertisement