Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

population increase?

Options
  • 05-11-2014 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭

I had to get a bus into the city centre from the Northside one morning last week, I normally travel North towards the airport for work. I couldn't believe the amount of people waiting for the buses while bus after bus full of people just drove by. People were just giving up and walking off or getting taxis. Has this always been the case or has it gotten worse lately?.

I've also noticed a change in getting buses from the city centre back to the Northside there seems to be more people queueing, a bus will come and the crowd will board it but five minutes later there's another twenty people already!. Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I don't think it was that bad a couple of years ago. Has the population spiked in Dublin recently?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,735 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Probably more people back to work, colleges back etc. Traffic is busier anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

It's annoying anyway whatever the reason, I've been getting a bit more exercise walking the 5 - 6 k home if the weather is good though :). I hate cramped buses and the Luas when it's busy just seems like self punishment to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Normally three people live in my house but I came home last week and there were about forty people in the house, drinking, laughing, listening to music, generally having a good time.

Has there been a population spike in my house recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Normally three people live in my house but I came home last week and there were about forty people in the house, drinking, laughing, listening to music, generally having a good time.

I hope you ripped the lid off of it!, wreck the place!. I'll clarify for the more pedantic souls. I've lived in Dublin for almost eight years and I don't have a car, I've travelled bus routes on the Southside and Northside at different times of the day. To my eyes it seems that recently there are more people competing for bus seats than there was say two years ago. Maybe there's been a reduction in the buses on the routes. I've read letters to the Metro Herald also with people complaining about having to stand on trains from Maynooth. But anyway theres bigger problems in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

More people are opting for public transport because of the expense of running a car maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭paulbok

It's probably the same reason the M50 has become busier in the mornings. More people back at work, but no longer have the luxury of getting a job near to where they live so have to travel more. Back in the Celtic Tiger days you could change job to one nearer home far more easily, at the moment people are just glad to be working.

The population will have gone up too but as that's generally a steady upward curve, it wouldn't be noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Uncle Ruckus

Wiki says the population has gone up by 21,000 since 2011.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

At the peak of the boom, there were 2.5m people either at work or in education. In Q2 2014 that number was 2.4m and increasing.

So we're practically back where we were at the peak of the boom, and as others have pointed out, people appear to be travelling longer distances (especially into Dublin) than they would have previously.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

AnonoBoy wrote: »

It's the smoking ban and the recession. More people are drinking in their your home :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

A good Russian flu is what's needed OP!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

There was a tree on the train line between Malahide and Portmarnock last week or the week before. That forced a lot of people to take the bus who wouldn't usually. If you normally head towards the airport but were going towards town instead you were probably caught up in that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

The AH type answer will be to suggest steralisation, limiting family size and culling the masses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

The AH type answer will be to suggest steralisation, limiting family size and culling the masses.
    We have to stop offering the blacks free houses and unlimited buggies. That's the real problem. All coming here to sponge off the state, etc.

Sure only last week I saw a black man walk straight from terminal 2 in Dublin airport, into a government limo and was then dropped off to his free house. There were 20 buggies on the roof rack, too.

Disgraceful really.

Cutbacks and shortages on public transport. A look on the Commuting and Transport forum here will cover most of it between buses and trains being pared back.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Cutbacks and shortages on public transport. A look on the Commuting and Transport forum here will cover most of it between buses and trains being pared back.

Ah yes, Irish public transport's imaginative commercial strategy of continuously increasing fares while continually decreasing services

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Wiki says the population has gone up by 21,000 since 2011.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland

That's very low and that figure is for the whole country as well. Suppose it's due to the couple of hundred thousand young people that have left.
    seamus wrote: »

So we're practically back where we were at the peak of the boom, and as others have pointed out, people appear to be travelling longer distances (especially into Dublin) than they would have previously.

No we're not. No they aren't. Did you just pull this shite out of the air? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

It was worse before the famine, things have quietened down since.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Seanachai wrote: »
    I had to get a bus into the city centre from the Northside one morning last week, I normally travel North towards the airport for work. I couldn't believe the amount of people waiting for the buses while bus after bus full of people just drove by. People were just giving up and walking off or getting taxis. Has this always been the case or has it gotten worse lately?.

I've also noticed a change in getting buses from the city centre back to the Northside there seems to be more people queueing, a bus will come and the crowd will board it but five minutes later there's another twenty people already!. Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I don't think it was that bad a couple of years ago. Has the population spiked in Dublin recently?.

It's November.
    Lots of companies have hired lots of temporary workers for the christmas business.
    This has been the case every single November since I came here some 12 years ago, and every year both Dublin Bus/Bus Eireann and my own employer seemed to be utterly surprised by it. The only way I ever found of getting to work on time between November and January was to walk to the very first bus stop, because the busses would be full afterwards.

It's exactly the same in Cork, full busses and people left to take taxis unless they can get on at Parnell Place.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

More people are opting for public transport because of the expense of running a car maybe?

With the extremely reliable, really cheap and totally non sh*t service offered by Dublin Bus it's no competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

zetalambda wrote: »
    No we're not. No they aren't. Did you just pull this shite out of the air? :D
    Well, like I say, at the height of the boom there were 2.5m people in Ireland either in employment or education and at the end of June 2014 we had 2.4m in the same situation, and increasing. It's all in the CSO tables.

So in terms of the actual numbers of people commuting, yes we are nearly back where we were at the peak of the boom.

Whether people are commuting longer, I'm not entirely sure, but given that the bulk of the economic recovery is in Dublin it stands to reason that more people are travelling into Dublin for work than there were previously. I could be wrong though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement