Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Saving Measures

Options
  • 05-11-2014 8:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭

What drastic measures will you take to save yerself a few bob on this tax.

I for one will pee freely and poo in fields with a good stock a dock leaf.

Pee in the shower too. But I do that anyway cos I care about the environment.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

I'm bringing all my washing to the dry cleaners

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Same as I've always done :

Turn off the shower to shampoo/soap yourself up
    Use a glass of water for rinsing when brushing your teeth
    Only put the washing machine and dishwasher on if they really are full

That's what I've been taught growing up and have been doing ever since.
    The only thing that annoys me a bit are Irish loos - you can't seem to get the cisterns where you press the lever to flush, and then lift the lever once it's flushed enough. Anybody know why that might be? They've been around in Germany since before I was even born?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Mint Aero wrote: »

Your not paying for Dock leaves so keep using loo roll. Also, you don't have to pay for your pee so peeing in the shower makes no difference. No if you say decided to pee in the toilet and just never flush, then you'd be a savvy saving bastard!

I just moved country but there's probably some kind of tax on water here too, only difference is its not going to pay off a massive debt to the Germans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

We have a hose running day and night on the driveway to keep the cobble-lock looking fresh and glisteney. I might turn it down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

We have a hose running day and night on the driveway to keep the cobble-lock looking fresh and glisteney. I might turn it down a bit.

Ah the humanity --

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Whatever happened all these government promises pre-election to keep our cobblelock fresh and glistening?

I can see some moss starting to come on mine already-time to set up a Facebook campaign to save our cobbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,413 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Shenshen wrote: »
    The only thing that annoys me a bit are Irish loos - you can't seem to get the cisterns where you press the lever to flush, and then lift the lever once it's flushed enough. Anybody know why that might be? They've been around in Germany since before I was even born?

Free water.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I might install a water butt to collect rain water to use on the garden in the summer months when it's (cough) not raining so much (cough*cough).

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭ALiasEX

I'd love to pee in the shower but your mum demands I pee on her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Mint Aero wrote: »

Easy, don't sign up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭cookie24

Shenshen wrote: »
    Same as I've always done :

Turn off the shower to shampoo/soap yourself up
    Use a glass of water for rinsing when brushing your teeth
    Only put the washing machine and dishwasher on if they really are full

That's what I've been taught growing up and have been doing ever since.

This may be better off in the stingy thread but....fill a few bottles with stones and put them into the cistern (or even big rocks). Ever time I flush the toilet now there is 1 less litre being used

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

cookie24 wrote: »
    This may be better off in the stingy thread but....fill a few bottles with stones and put them into the cistern (or even big rocks). Ever time I flush the toilet now there is 1 less litre being used

They all add up

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I am going to leave the freezer door open and collect and melt the accumulating ice.

For the environment like

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Nothing.

I live in an apartment on my own so it's never going to be metered and there's no incentive for me to bother even if I was inclined to.

That said though, I only use water for a shower and brushing my teeth in the morning, few flushes of the toilet per day, and the sink to rinse my plate in the evening, with the dishwasher and washing machine running once a week so I'm not a heavy user anyway (don't be filling/boiling the kettle 5/6 times a day for example as I don't drink tea/coffee at home)

Besides, I don't think IW (in its current form) will be around too much longer anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Hired in with digger to bury an underground water tank and link it up from all the gutters, costing big money one would question the pay back on it.

Advertisement