Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whatever happened to do do do do all the heroes?

Options
  • 05-11-2014 2:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭

No more heroes any more!

Who were your heroes growing up? And do you still think of them as such.

Mine were;

Val Kilmer: Amazing actor, he was the hero of Top Gun for me, in Heat he got away, a brilliant Doc Holliday, and he never even got nominated for an Oscar.

Emilio Estevez: the brother Charlie wishes he was. I used to style myself on Emilio when I had hair, the couple of loose hairs on the fringe, that steely, yet warm glint in his eye. He was too cool for school, The Repo Man, The Breakfast Club, my all time favourite Maximum Overdrive, I loved Emilio, then came the Mighty Ducks. Why, Martin Sheen Jr, why???

Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio: I sent her a fan letter wanting to marry her when I was ten, she never replied. What a woman, Scarface and The Abyss stand out especially.

Tony Knowles: An English snooker player, the less said about that the better:o

Who were your heroes? Do you still hold them in the same esteem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

TK, broke a million hearts on and off the table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Where is he now that Tubridy is host?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

Peter Schmeichel, former Man United keeper.

Idolised himself and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

As a chisler in the mid 70's, Jimmy Keavney, Tony Hanahoe & Bernard Brogan Sr were all my heros.

Saw them all at halftime at the Dublin club champo final last week. They were all a good bit older and greyer, than when we first met, but shure fcuk it, so am I ! :rolleyes:

I would have loved to have gone up to each and every one and told them that no matter how old and grey they get, they will ALWAYS have my undying love. But I probably would have been thrown out of Parnell Park if I did, so I just went & had a cup of tea instead. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,903 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Berserker wrote: »
    TK, broke a million hearts on and off the table.
    A million and one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Not sure but this video might hold some answers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Evil kneivel: inspired setting up many ramps for jumping on a bmx and then progressed onto a dirt bike when older. The man was an inspiration ... Inspired me to and up with many bumps and knocks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

No more heroes any more!

Val Kilmer: Amazing actor, he was the hero of Top Gun for me, in Heat he got away, a brilliant Doc Holliday, and he never even got nominated for an Oscar.

Val Kilmer in True Romance had a great part.

Language NSFW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭CaptainInsano

131spanner wrote: »
    Peter Schmeichel, former Man United keeper.

Idolised himself and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer :o

Cantona was mine. I used to wear my collar up just l like him when playing soccer at lunch time in primary school, thinking I was cool as fcuk.
    Those were the days.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I was just thinking about this the other day actually, and names like Sigourney Weaver came to mind, Judi Dench, Helen Mirren, women who kick ass with class! :D

Lindsay Lohan actually - more comebacks than a boomerang, and hopefully this time she's back for good, always admired someone who could come back from some horrible mistakes and be humble about it.

I used admire David Norris, but he's turned into an awful gobshyte in the last decade or so.

Speaking of politicians, I always admired Hillary Clinton, it's like the woman has no 'off' switch! :D

Business entrepreneurs like Richard Branson, Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Michael Dell, they were role models for me as a child, and I still admire much of the work they've done.

I'm sure there's loads more I'll probably think of later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Where is he now that Tubridy is host?

A week or two after that incident he rammed a car into the reception area in RTE. He was arrested and charged. During the trial it also turns out he'd also been walking round Kennys home's area painting messages of a less than complimentary nature.

He was a business man, and as the business took a turn for the worst, he began acting in a strange manner. He became convinced that he had invented a device that would stop all car crashes on the roads. His problem with Kenny was that he wouldn't let him on the radio to tell the world of this 'invention'. For reasons beyond me he was found sane and sentenced to over a year in Mountjoy. A few months after getting out, he drowned himself in the Liffey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Packie Bonner!

I played in goals as a young lad and sure what young lad didn't worship the Italia 90 squad

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Emilio Estevez: the brother Charlie wishes he was. I used to style myself on Emilio when I had hair, the couple of loose hairs on the fringe, that steely, yet warm glint in his eye. He was too cool for school, The Repo Man, The Breakfast Club, my all time favourite Maximum Overdrive, I loved Emilio, then came the Mighty Ducks. Why, Martin Sheen Jr, why???

You take that back! Bombay4Life. Quack, Quack, Quack.

Fernando Torres was one of mine (even though I was probably too old for heroes!) - broke my heart when he left Liverpool.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I played on goals as a young lad...
    You shouldn't play on goals - you could fall and hurt yourself.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Probably because he ate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Packie Bonner!

I played on goals as a young lad and sure what young lad didn't worship the Italia 90 squad

Practising tight-rope walking?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Benjamin Disraeli

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

Age 4: Stephen Spielberg
    Sure he made Hook and the Animaniacs and Tiny Toons and everything, he must be amazing! There's a word document from early 1995 (so I was either 4 or 5) that I spent days typing up with me giving those reasons for it and all, it's about 4 lines long.

Age 8: Kevin McAleer
    ...and I spent years mimicking him without anyone even realising I was trying to get laughs :(

Age 12: Francis Ford Coppola
    Cos I'm all smart and ****, people be like "woah, a 12 year old likes the Godfather?! woah!"

Age 16: Stewart Lee
    ...and I spent years mimicking him without anyone even realising I was trying to get laughs, again :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

No more heroes any more!

I blame Mr Incredible, he fucked up big time stopping that train crash. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Probably because he ate it.

He looks remarkably like Butthead from Beavis and Butthead these days don't he? :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Bodie and Doyle from the Professionals

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 424 ✭✭Chunners

I'm my hero, well me and Sue Sylvester but mostly me because I'm just great

This is Sue

• Registered Users Posts: 19,121 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Edward Woodward as The Equalizer...

The Hoff as Michael Knight...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,109 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin.

They don't make the rasslin' like they used to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

No more heroes any more!

Who were your heroes growing up? And do you still think of them as such.

Mine were;

Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio: I sent her a fan letter wanting to marry her when I was ten, she never replied. What a woman, Scarface and The Abyss stand out especially.

Who were your heroes? Do you still hold them in the same esteem?

You got the thanks for mentioning Kilmer as Doc Holliday. "I'm your huckleberry" with the sick smile is the most chilling line in movies in a long time. Death has come upon us! A great moment and you reminded me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Joshua L Chamberlain and Abraham Lincoln. If you don't know the Chamberlain story look him up.

And then a bad movie version:

Advertisement