Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Avensis Battery Faint Light Coming on

Options
  • 05-11-2014 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭

Just noticed my dashboard tonight the Battery light was coming on very faint,

So when i gt home i checked the Battery , one of the terminals had acid on it so i poured boiling water on them then put some vaseline on them,

i put a voltmeter in to check the battery it was 12.1

The Light still stayed on ( faintly )

Should i worry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

You should have 14v on a good battery. Put a multimeter on the battery and note the reading. Then start the car and note the reading again. If the voltage stays the same your alternator is gone but if the voltage rises to 14v or over then the battery isn't holding the charge and needs replacing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Read the voltage on battery with engine running
    if its charging it should read 13.6 + volts

If it is lower than 13.2volts the alternator is probably on way out or belt is slipping.

The red light coming on is telling you charging voltage is too low.

It is worth your while to take some fine sand paper to battery poles and to battery terminal so there is a clean connection and tighten up battery pole. The corrosion on battery terminal is sign of old battery and motor shop selling batteries should be able to test it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Luckysasha wrote: »
    You should have 14v on a good battery. Put a multimeter on the battery and note the reading. Then start the car and note the reading again. If the voltage stays the same your alternator is gone but if the voltage rises to 14v or over then the battery isn't holding the charge and needs replacing.

You should have around 12.6v on a good battery with the engine off. Charging voltage should be about 14.3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭faolteam

i had an issue last august and my battery blew up after an nct

i got alternator checked then it was fine but kept the voltmeter on just in case

will the car get worse in mean time will it not run whats worse that can happen or should i get it to mechanic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭faolteam

the light on battery icon was gone

checked voltemeter was 13.4 seemed fine jobs oxo ,

but about 2 hours later all lights on dash were flickering electrics nearly non existant , was only 6 v in battery

went to an alternator place was ok seemed busy but not very friendly told me to call back in about 3 hours, i asked him was it a new alternator reconditioned

He said he just aded parts to it

• Advertisement
Advertisement