Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Keeping track of what you spend on your car

Options
  • 04-11-2014 11:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭

Just curious do people on here keep track of what they spend on their cars. In some ways it could get depressing I suppose :) I myself keep the receipts in a folder and then have a simple excel spreadsheet where I record date, mileage, item description and cost. I actually find it quite handy as for example a whilr back I was wondering how long I had my new tyres on the car looked it up and could see the mileage and date. Anyone else use this method or is it a case of just buying the part putting it on and then blanking out what it cost for some parts :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

just shy of 2k in parts and tyres on my 9-5

500 on parts for the 900, shoestring build budget

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Bpmull wrote: »
    [...] In some ways it could get depressing I suppose :) [...]

^^This.^^

I spend too much. But I've a kind of online record for some of modifications/upgrades I made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

just shy of 2k in parts and tyres on my 9-5

500 on parts for the 900, shoestring build budget

You must have spent more than 500 euro on parts for the 900 that's unbelievable for what you've done to it :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

If I count what I spent on some cars over the years, I'd be kicking myself.

The red 406 was maintained on a very very minimum budget (near double the power for £90) and the Mercs are also proving to be very cost efficient

Tyres are not an issue :cool:

Most of what I'd spend would be servicing. Upgrades and the likes I tend to recycle what I have

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Just curious do people on here keep track of what they spend on their cars. In some ways it could get depressing I suppose :) I myself keep the receipts in a folder and then have a simple excel spreadsheet where I record date, mileage, item description and cost. I actually find it quite handy as for example a whilr back I was wondering how long I had my new tyres on the car looked it up and could see the mileage and date. Anyone else use this method or is it a case of just buying the part putting it on and then blanking out what it cost for some parts :)

Yes, I do exactly the same, on every car I had since 2005.

• Advertisement

You must have spent more than 500 euro on parts for the 900 that's unbelievable for what you've done to it :eek:

Nope! I have one receipt totalling 450 for brakes, pads, callipers, suspension bushes arb bushes, drop links, tie rods, steering, brake fluid, oil/filter, frost plug, rocker gaskets, o2 sensor (which was the most expensive) plugs, a tstat and a water pump

Everything else was gotten for under 30 euro including tyres ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Nope! I have one receipt totalling 450 for brakes, pads, callipers, suspension bushes arb bushes, drop links, tie rods, steering, brake fluid, oil/filter, frost plug, rocker gaskets, o2 sensor (which was the most expensive) plugs, a tstat and a water pump

Everything else was gotten for under 30 euro including tyres ;)

If you had asked me to guess if of thought about 1500-2000 euro on parts as I knew you had overhauled suspension and breaks. Even that above receipt is some serious amount of stuff for 450 quid I'd of thought the fact it's and older car it would be harder and more expensive to get parts for obviously not.

Not on this car. Its been very little anyway.

Off the top of my head:

including the price of the car,
    4 tyres,
    full service,
    alternator and aux belt replacement*,
    fuel pump replacement*,
    few bits for NCT,
    new interior,
    small upgrades (bulbs, wheel caps, plates, key upgrade etc)
    and I'm sure there's more i'm forgetting and more to come.

*labor costs included

definitely no more than €1500 :)

Gotta love bangernomics :pac:

Tax, insurance and NCT costs not included obviously

If you had asked me to guess if of thought about 1500-2000 euro on parts as I knew you had overhauled suspension and breaks. Even that above receipt is some serious amount of stuff for 450 quid I'd of thought the fact it's and older car it would be harder and more expensive to get parts for obviously not.

Nope, cheaper if anything! fuel pump for example, for the 9-5 5/600 euro, pump for the 900, 100 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Just started my own Spreadsheet on the car, €250 gone into it in parts for the cooling, new Thermostat, Radiator, Water Pump and Rad cap, bootlid is to be done next and then I'll sort the radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I normally do keep all the receipts with the logbook; Besides the obvious advantage of being able to offer at least a bit of history if I ever decide to sell, it definitely help remembering when I did what, and what needs to be done next. I might take a leaf from some of your idea about the spreadsheet - although I'd hate to sumbit yet another bit of my life to Google Docs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't keep track, it'll only depress me. I keep receipts for major jobs though but try to forget the cost as soon as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

4 x Eagle F1 Assymetric 2s €600
    Castrol Edge €160
    Brake fluid change €50
    Battery €100
    Fuel filter €35
    Camshaft follower €40
    4 spark plugs €30 (eBay special)
    Oil,air,pollen filters, sump plugs, bulbs, wipers,etc. @ €150

That's around €1.2k in 2 1/2 years ownership, the car is now 7. No labour as I service it myself.

If only I'd bought Linglongs I'd be under a grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

€6300 in the last 12 months.... On diesel.....

As for other things, €290 for shocks, bushes and a driveshaft cross. And service consumables

I have never had to touch anything other than "normal" wearing parts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Major Service x1 - €200
    Rocker Cover Gasket - €250
    Valdas Bill #1 - €900 - too much to list honestly
    Valdas Bill #2 - rear pads, discs, handbrake shoes, foglight, wheel speed sensor - €300
    Tyre 1 - €55
    Service x2 - €150
    Service x3 - €100
    New Front Bumper - €250
    New Rear Light - €160
    Boot carpet - €15
    Floor Mats - €60 (high quality ones)
    Motor Tax - €804
    5L Bottles of oil * 7 @ €26 each - €130
    New tyres front - €160

Total: €3,500+ / about €2,5k without motor tax

Not counting stuff like Karcher, car chemicals, jump leads, hydraulic jack, axle stands etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Last 6 months or so of owning it:
    €2136 on fuel (have the info)
    €290 for 2 Good year efficient grip performance
    €230 for a new wheel
    €99 on a service
    €60 on LED interior bulbs
    €90 on GTI pedals
    €50 on coding a few bits
    €400 on a 2 day jobbie in clean car

Needs another service and 2 more tyres in the coming weeks which is looking like about €500 way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I do, but don't break it down into specifics. I usually keep receipts for parts and repair.

Beyond that I track the running costs in my household budget e.g. finance, fuel, maintenance, insurance, tax etc. Its all part of the bigger cost of the car so it's grouped together under one category but I can see the individuals easily.

I use youneedabudget for this. Tis great!:D

Advertisement