Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

18 year old son on wife's policy

Options
  • 04-11-2014 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

My18year old son has just got his learners permit and we wanted to put him on my wife's policy, but they are looking for 760 euro till renewal mid February 15.
    Does this sound like a rip off and if so what are our options?
    The car is a 00 1.25 punto

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

ger34 wrote: »
    My18year old son has just got his learners permit and we wanted to put him on my wife's policy, but they are looking for 760 euro till renewal mid February 15.

Sounds quite cheap actually, I was quoted 250 for half a month with a full license under my mothers policy. My mother was in Galway for the weekend, I was in Limerick and needed to get home to Donegal for the weekend, and a way to get around when at home but that was ridiculously expensive so ended up staying in Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

When I was 18 to add me to the mothers policy was an extra €1300 for a measly 3 months, on a 1.2 Fiat too ironically

Consider that a damned good quote at that age!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Sounds very cheap actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Cost me €700 for 5 months on mam and dad's 1.9 Octavia there last summer, and i was 19 male on provisional. Maybe come February ring round and see if you can get a decent deal for your son's insurance with someone else

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

my first insurance on 1.4 peugeot 307 was 2300 euro for a year ( I had full DL for 4 years at the time and was over 20)

760 for 4.5months ~2016 euro per year

cheap !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

For me was €6500 for year at 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭ger34

I would expect it to be a couple of grand if it was in his own name, but its just as a named driver, which i would imagine will not help him with his No Claims Bonus when he gets his own insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I would expect it to be a couple of grand if it was in his own name, but its just as a named driver, which i would imagine will not help him with his No Claims Bonus when he gets his own insurance.

Being a named driver does count towards a no claims bonus with some places, such as Liberty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Just a word of warning, if he has an accident, your wife can kiss bye bye to her ncb. My younger brother recently tipped someone's statuonary car in a car park and the cost to repair was 1k. It was either pay 1k or my dad would have to kiss goodbye to his ncb. You'd be surprised how few young lads have tips. when I was in secondary school, it was common for cars to be written off 6-12 months after getting the test so worth bearing in mind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

The policy of most insurance companies these days is to take all the additional names on the policy and pick the most expensive one as being the "main" person on it. Why? Exactly because of what you're trying to do which is to get him to drive the car but get it on the cheap by claiming someone else's name on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Nody wrote: »
    The policy of most insurance companies these days is to take all the additional names on the policy and pick the most expensive one as being the "main" person on it. Why? Exactly because of what you're trying to do which is to get him to drive the car but get it on the cheap by claiming someone else's name on it.

We did this with my eldest. 17, provisional, put him on mid-term in the policy(wifes), it was €690 extra...then renewal came around and they wanted €5600....so I bought him some trainers to make the walking a bit easier..

Advertisement