Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feel really tired and drowsy after and during school!

Options
  • 04-11-2014 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭

Hey guys recently and this has been a re occuring problem for me is that when in class sometimes or after home from school i feel really unactive and lazy and want to take a nap, feeling tired.

I really need to sort myself out on the learning homework but everything else is fine. Should i drink coffee or water or something just don't want something to take what others aren't experiencing the same thing as me!

In all fairness the mid term was all about partying and i know that the following 10 weeks from now is my pre's and it's really important to me. Over the mid term i've been only getting about 7 hours of sleep which is really worrying and i have to get up 7 in the morning to go to school! :(

Will drinking a cup of coffee everyday affect ones health in some sort of way ( especially acne! :o)

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 IncognitoX

Have you considered actually taking a nap after school for half an hour or whatever? I know napping works great for some people and they wake up feeling refreshed for the rest of the day.

Is there any way you could get to sleep earlier at night to get more sleep? Maybe cut out the TV or whatever at night and get some sleep instead.

Have you tried doing some exercise? Even a brisk walk every day would be great to clear the mind and help you feel physically and mentally fresh.

I'd see if any of the above could be done before turning to caffeine and the like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭Cyber Ghost

Do you drink cow's milk?

I was drowsy all the time in college and it went away after i stopped drinking milk

Also being sleepy is a common side effect of your subjects in school being taught in as dry and boring a way as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Are you getting some fresh air and a bit of a walk or some exercise at lunch time? Most schools crank up the heating after the midterm, so if this is a new thing for you it could just be a reaction to the atmosphere being too warm and stuffy.
    Are you eating enough, and well? Eating too much sugar can lead to a 'slump', and not eating enough obviously won't help your energy levels.
    Drinking water is important, especially when you're in a heated space for so many hours of the day.
    A power nap could help but prolonged sleep is better really so try to get back to your 8 hours per night!
    A cup of coffee a day shouldn't have any effect on acne or anything else really, it's worth a shot but I'd look at the diet, exercise, fresh air and sleep first :)

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AulBiddy

If you don't drink water please start it has so much more benefits than you think! I used to hate it at first but now I can't go a day without a bottle of it..
    As for the tiredness problem I am the same, I am always sleepy by the end of school. As soon as you get in get a 30 - 45 minute nap - set an alarm so you don't oversleep. When you wake up take an ice cold drink of water and get something to eat - you'll feel ready to start homework. I am the very same as you I get about 6 hours sleep (seriously overactive brain at night haha) so I really do need to nap or else I just can't function. By the way, I notice the longer I nap the harder it is to get out of it... So try and only nap for 30 if you can :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Turn the phone off at a reasonable hour at night so it's not interrupting you as you nod off. Get to bed early and organise your time efficiently. Check your diet as others suggested. Cut out the crap, even diet versions of fizzy drinks etc. drink water and eat healthily. It's worth getting a good tonic or multivitamin too. Something with a bit of omega 3/6 to boost your concentration levels would be useful. And if the tiredness still persists get your bloods done - anaemia due to low iron causes tirdness as does a lack of vit B12 - both deficiencies are fairly common in the Irish diet. Eat plenty of lean red meat, eggs, offal, whole grains, wheat germ and green veg like broccoli and spinach. Or get a good tonic as I said if you don't / won't eat those foods

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭PeterJC!

This used to happen me all the time last year! I would come home from school, have something to eat and then watch a bit of TV and I'd just want to sleep right after. So I started doing some exercise after school like going for a run or a cycle. I also cut out all the crap in my diet, upped my water intake and started taking a multi-vitamin everyday, which I think helped a lot.

The great thing about doing exercise after school, even just a brisk walk, is that you feel re-energised and ready to do some more work.

I drink a lot of coffee but mainly because I like it and not for the caffeine. It didn't affect my acne, but everyone's skin is different. Though I would say if you're going to start drinking coffee don't have it after 8pm as it will keep you awake!

Hope that helps! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Go to a doctor and get a blood test, if only to rule out many possibilities, some quite serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Exercise more. Strange but true: some exercise can reinvigorate you and increase energy levels.
    Fresh air.
    Proper rest and sleep.
    Amphetamines...lots!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Exercise more. Strange but true: some exercise can reinvigorate you and increase energy levels.
    Fresh air.
    Proper rest and sleep.
    Amphetamines...lots!

It amazes me how much people neglect excercise.

It makes studying and listening in school a lot easier with a more active and 'fresh' brain.

Advertisement