Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Cavan 2014 \ 2015

Options
  • 04-11-2014 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I have relatives that live in Crosserlough in Cavan who are asking me to research what Broadband they can get. Preferably unlimited but chances are slim. Will do with a good usage cap.

Anyone here who lives out the countryside who can advise what options there are?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Arden, eircom(if the exchange aint old) or Q-Sat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

Hi folks,

I have relatives that live in Crosserlough in Cavan who are asking me to research what Broadband they can get. Preferably unlimited but chances are slim. Will do with a good usage cap.

Anyone here who lives out the countryside who can advise what options there are?

Cheers

I actually live in Crosserlough. I can get a 2MB connection with Eircom. It is pretty stable and I have only had one problem with it in the last 3 years.

I am on the Kilnaleck exchange which is due to be upgraded to Fibre in Spring 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

gazzer wrote: »
    I actually live in Crosserlough. I can get a 2MB connection with Eircom. It is pretty stable and I have only had one problem with it in the last 3 years.

I am on the Kilnaleck exchange which is due to be upgraded to Fibre in Spring 2015.

Problem is they have no phoneline. Are there any other options you know of? Whats QSat like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Q-Sat is ok.

Dish is pretty big. Connection speed is around 50% of what your paying for via wifi, fast if hooked directly into the router. Really bad weather can
    hamper your signal but if there is no line of site for arden and no phone line and no 3g signal for a dongle its really the lat option left. Normal contract is 2 years. I'm just coming to the end of mine so I'm checking with Eircom to see if the exchange has been upgraded but I doubt it.

Q-Sat is probably the most expensive option but when its the only option what can you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Yabazza

I'm with Arden/Eurona at the moment having recently switched from Imagine. I'm paying €24/month (half what I was paying Imagine) for 1.5MB (double what I was getting from Imagine). The thing is, I download from Steam from time to time and that seems to be capped at 250kb/s which is pretty awful, in my opinion. I've read about traffic shaping and bit-torrent throttling - is this what's happening here?

• Advertisement
Advertisement