Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best 1 litre car and why

Options
  • 04-11-2014 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

hi guys thinkin of getting myself a car possibly in the new year.
    Whats the best 1 litre and why?
    I want a reliable car and im afraid my budget is low 2000/3000 max.
    3 door would be ideal also.

thanks for reading and looking forward re replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

I've had a clio for the lay 11 years. It's never broken down or failed am nct. 88k on the clock and still going strong. You should be able to get something like that into your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭malinheader

My son just got his first provisional so needed small engine car for his insurance. He bought a 06 Clio 1.2 nice comfortable car reliable and didnt cost him an arm and a leg either.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ptyloch

I'd go for a 00-02 Vw Polo, real 1.0, great little car, I use it for driving to work and occasionally to go Limerick-Dublin and it's perfect. With your budget you could pick one up and bring it to a trusted mechanic to sort out every little detail and you'll have a car for years. That's what I did 2 years ago, picked one up for €600 and put €900 into it (parts and labour). Flew through 2 NCT's, never missed a beat. What more can you ask for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

For that money maybe a VW Lupo or Seat equivalent (can't remember the name)?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

If you don't care too much about the aesthetics, Nissan Micra is an absolute trooper from the reliability side. My first car was an 01 Micra and it's still on the road and flying. They are a little on the pricey side for this reason so you may have to go back to an older model to fit your budget - the newest you'll get for that price is 10 years old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Gordy6040 wrote: »
    I've had a clio for the lay 11 years. It's never broken down or failed am nct. 88k on the clock and still going strong. You should be able to get something like that into your budget.

OP did say they were on the hunt for a 1 litre...
    .....of course the answer is YARIS, YARIS, YARIS. Loads within budget & fairly roomy too for a 1 litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,887 ✭✭✭✭unkel

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    .....of course the answer is YARIS, YARIS, YARIS. Loads within budget & fairly roomy too for a 1 litre.

By far the most expensive of them all and the main reason for that is because everyone in the pub and on boards says the answer is YARIS ;)

Micra of that generation (pre '02) is as reliable as a car gets and hundreds cheaper than a Yaris in the same condition

Others are cheaper again but perhaps not quite as reliable. I'd consider a FIAT Seicento too, can be head for very little money (less than half of a decent Micra) and is more fun to drive than most of them

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    OP did say they were on the hunt for a 1 litre...

Not far off 1.0 litres to be fair....

OP, I wouldn't be too hung up on the 1.0 litre thing, anything in and around that should be more or less the same. And the tax difference isn't all that much.

The Yaris is a good choice, but it is an expensive choice, they are in high demand and good ones command a higher price. I think I'd have to echo the Clio idea. Not fond of the Polo from the early 2000's, very old fashioned car, and the newer model from 2003ish is not a good engine (the 1.2 3 cylinder).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

ptyloch wrote: »
    I use it for driving to work and occasionally to go Limerick-Dublin and it's perfect.

Perfect? Excruciating I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Micra - well me mams micra, for obvious reasons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

unkel wrote: »
    By far the most expensive of them all and the main reason for that is because everyone in the pub and on boards says the answer is YARIS ;)

Micra of that generation (pre '02) is as reliable as a car gets and hundreds cheaper than a Yaris in the same condition

Others are cheaper again but perhaps not quite as reliable. I'd consider a FIAT Seicento too, can be head for very little money (less than half of a decent Micra) and is more fun to drive than most of them
    The mk1 yaris is the best 1 litre car by some distance, the others you mention don't come close. The Yaris's popularity and reputation for being a quality product is why they are expensive to buy.

The upshot of this however is that it will always be easy to sell afterwards and for a nice bit of what you paid for it too.

Not far off 1.0 litres to be fair....

OP, I wouldn't be too hung up on the 1.0 litre thing, anything in and around that should be more or less the same. And the tax difference isn't all that much.

The Yaris is a good choice, but it is an expensive choice, they are in high demand and good ones command a higher price. I think I'd have to echo the Clio idea. Not fond of the Polo from the early 2000's, very old fashioned car, and the newer model from 2003ish is not a good engine (the 1.2 3 cylinder).

The tax difference between 1.0 and 1.1 is €100 euro per annum and €130 and €158 more for a 1.2 and 1.3

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    The mk1 yaris is the best 1 litre car by some distance, the others you mention don't come close. The Yaris's popularity and reputation for being a quality product is why they are expensive to buy.

The upshot of this however is that it will always be easy to sell afterwards and for a nice bit of what you paid for it too.

i'd have to agree. the mk1 yaris is the most expensive small car, because the people in the pub got it right for once, it is the most reliable, easiest to run small car out there.

it's much roomier and much more modern than a k11 micra of the same vintage. if i had 3k to spend and wanted "the best" small car, it'd be a yaris.

if i was more budget restricted i might look at a micra, mk2 punto or fiesta.

your money is safe in the yaris too. my parents bought a 2000 1.0 yaris 3 years ago for a second car for the household for €1600 and i'm pretty confident if we went to sell it now we could still advertise it for €1600. in those 3 years, the yaris has had one oil change and a set of front pads in that time, so <€50 maintenance. we don't take too great a care of it and it is still extremely reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Looking at spritmonitor.de, the mpg for the Yaris, Lupo, and Micra 1 litre's is about the same. In and around 45mpg average. As mentioned, the Yaris is definitely a favourite (not one of mine though!) and commands more on the used market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

for reliability, quality and good resale value it would be either a Yaris or a micra. The K11 micra (up to 2002) is a better car in my eyes although I'm sure someone will be along to say the K12 model is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

Another vote for the micra, I had one and it was unbreakable, even by me!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The tax difference between 1.0 and 1.1 is €100 euro per annum and €130 and €158 more for a 1.2 and 1.3

Most 1.1 cars in that sector (eg 206, C2, C3, 106, saxo) are slightly over 1.1, meaning 1.2 tax.
    1.2 fiesta and punto are over 1.2 (1.25) so are taxed as 1.3

1.0 to 1.1 adds €100 fair enough, but its adding €100 to 200 ie 50% more

If you take any of the French stuff above, you're looking €330 (€131 more)

Punto/fiesta is €358 a year

In the grand scheme of things, they're all cheap. But tax does matter to people.

Irish Micra's were built in the uk and they did give a few small problems, but problems that were enough to stop them.

A reliable car, most definatly but bulletproof, no. Tin worm likes them a lot too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Irish Micra's were built in the uk and they did give a few small problems, but problems that were enough to stop them.

A reliable car, most definatly but bulletproof, no. Tin worm likes them a lot too :D

They're a bit old hat now too.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    They're a bit old hat now too.
    True. It must be nearly 23 years since it's launch at this stage. Didn't do great in the euro ncap either, I suppose many cars of the time didn't either though tbf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

The micra or yaris. Personally the pre 02 micra for me. If only todays cars were as easy work on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

unkel wrote: »

Timing chain wear is a very prevalent issue with the K11...and the kit alone (pre-labour) is around the €390 mark. The front crossmember is guaranteed to rust, and usually the sills and boot floor aren't far behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭kz44

hey guys tanx so much re replies I should have said this isnt my first car ive had A MICRA,POLO AND YARIS PREVIOUS.
    Just trying to figure out which be the best im aware a 1.2 is a stronger car alright but with wage im on i want a cheap reliable car.
    YARIS IT IS SO AND YES THEY ARE DEAR.
    really appreciate all advice given oh and sorry to those re a CLIO ive had mates who had that car and wasnt good.

Oh and my rason for posting this is its 6yrs since had a car so just wanted to be sure which best. Tanx again.

REASON

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Most 1.1 cars in that sector (eg 206, C2, C3, 106, saxo) are slightly over 1.1, meaning 1.2 tax.
    1.2 fiesta and punto are over 1.2 (1.25) so are taxed as 1.3

1.0 to 1.1 adds €100 fair enough, but its adding €100 to 200 ie 50% more

If you take any of the French stuff above, you're looking €330 (€131 more)

Punto/fiesta is €358 a year

In the grand scheme of things, they're all cheap. But tax does matter to people.
    My point was that the difference between them in tax isn't that small.

The jump of €100 for .1 of a litre is massive when you consider it costs €58 for .2 of a litre when jumping from 1.1 to 1.3

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

Personally, I'd go for this:

It's 1 litre, as required.
    The Yamaha R1 engine should be pretty reliable if looked after.
    Not sure about the budget of €2-3k ... some further research may be needed.
    Why? A whole bunch of laughs!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭chicorytip

The Yaris is a good car, no doubt, but seriously "uncool" , mostly suitable for elderly nuns.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

chicorytip wrote: »
    The Yaris is a good car, no doubt, but seriously "uncool" , mostly suitable for elderly nuns.

Breaking down is also uncool.

• Advertisement

chicorytip wrote: »
    Top Gear has you well informed :rolleyes:

Advertisement