Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Isola 2000 in France

Options
  • 04-11-2014 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

I was in Nice recently and met a ski instructor who told me and my gf about this place that he works in during the winter. Said it was among the cheapest places in Europe to ski. So on the spur of the moment I booked flights. Has anyone any experience of the place ? What should I be doing regarding accomodation, hotel v chalet?
    It is both our first time skiing and is for the second week in Feb. Its also my gfs christmas present so dont want to mess it up if at all possible.
    Im open to any help/suggestions or resort recommendations in that area.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sallymomo

I was in Nice recently and met a ski instructor who told me and my gf about this place that he works in during the winter. Said it was among the cheapest places in Europe to ski. So on the spur of the moment I booked flights. Has anyone any experience of the place ? What should I be doing regarding accomodation, hotel v chalet?
    It is both our first time skiing and is for the second week in Feb. Its also my gfs christmas present so dont want to mess it up if at all possible.
    Im open to any help/suggestions or resort recommendations in that area.
    Thanks

Hey Mike
    PM Sent.

For general information, Isola (according to one of the forecast websites, got the best coverage last season in Europe). As the name suggests, its starts at 2000m. It's a purpose built resort in which some of the slopes skirt the border with Italy. There is a good choice of slopes and it is ideal for beginners and all other levels. However, the town itself is just a small concrete jungle with not much of a nightlife. Its less than two hours drive from the Med so a lot of locals use it as their resort so less likely to be on a typical ski holiday generating buzz.
    Its a decent enough spot depending on what you want - just to learn to ski, fine. To get the whole "ski holiday", not so much.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭maddness

All of what Sally said is pretty much spot on.
    I skied there on my second ski holiday and to be honest it was perfect for my level then. Lots of handy enough skiing and as far as I can remember all of the accommodation is ski n ski out or as near as.
    It's a ugly place and has little charm but it's only an hour and a bit from Nice so is great for a short break.
    There is a bus from the Airport which goes twice a day to and is very cheap.

Advertisement