Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Too much oil when refilled

Options
  • 04-11-2014 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I've just changed the oil in my car and when did so I had it lifted on one side.Probably not all oil dropped.I filled it up as usually with 5 l.I didn't have a time to check the measurement but one day after I realized it's overfilled and it's about 1 cm over.I run the engine for 5 min. and it didn't drop.My concerns are as follows:
    1. Can overfilling possibly damage my engine?i know there is a risk of blown head gasket...
    2.How to reduce the amount to the acceptable level.i don't feel like to borrow the tools again to unscrew the filter:-(

Thanks for your help guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Overfilling can damage an engine as if it is high enough the crankshaft can whip the oil into a foam which due to the air bubbles doesn't provide the same lubrication or heat conduction that the oil normally does. You may be able to syphon the oil off in some way without having to open up, either through the oil filler hole or the dipstick tube, otherwise yeah its a case of taking off the sump plug and letting some drain out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,588 ✭✭✭tossy

What kind of car ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

bus.driver wrote: »
    I've just changed the oil in my car and when did so I had it lifted on one side.Probably not all oil dropped.I filled it up as usually with 5 l.I didn't have a time to check the measurement but one day after I realized it's overfilled and it's about 1 cm over.I run the engine for 5 min. and it didn't drop.My concerns are as follows:
    1. Can overfilling possibly damage my engine?i know there is a risk of blown head gasket...
    2.How to reduce the amount to the acceptable level.i don't feel like to borrow the tools again to unscrew the filter:-(

Thanks for your help guys.

Surely you can just undo the sump nut and drain it from there? You can also buy oil extractors which will extract oil/fluids through the dip stick. Don't run the car in the mean time.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 bus.driver

There is no oil in oil filler.I have tried to suck it with syringe and little hose.The same applies with dipstick-I put the narrow hose into it trying to suck the oil-nothing went out.The only solution is to get the filter tool and unscrew it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 John A

I agree with alanstrainer about the oil extraction tool. Great tool and it will save you money in the long term. Garages charge way too much for oil changes anyway as you probably know already. As you are already doing the changes yourself you'll find that the extractor just makes it easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 bus.driver

Thanks for your advices lads.I managed to insert a hose into dipstick and sucked it.I had 0.5 l over the upper limit.It took me nearly one hour to do so.Silly me,I need to be more careful refilling the oil next time.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

bus.driver wrote: »
    Thanks for your advices lads.I managed to insert a hose into dipstick and sucked it.I had 0.5 l over the upper limit.It took me nearly one hour to do so.Silly me,I need to be more careful refilling the oil next time.

Glad you got sorted! Easy mistake to make to be fair, you're lucky to have caught it when you did!

I have an extractor at home, which I use for servicing, it's a fantastic piece of kit. And very cheap. For my next service I'll use it to extract the oil, and then I'll undo the sump nut to see just how much is left in the engine. I also need to replace my oil level sensor too!

Depending on the car too much oil is not always going to be a bad thing. When you consider that min to max on the dip stick in your average car is 1L of oil then 0.5 extra is not always the end of the world, i always had the S3 over filled by about 0.5 litres or around 5/6 mm on the dipstick as it used about 1L of oil every 5k

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I've never overfilled my car but I have a Fumoto Valve fitted so even if I did happen to overfill it I could just open the valve for a second and then shut again.Much easier oil changes and less chance of mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Actually, is there a resource that someone knows about that shows what the correct engine oil capacity is for various cars? As in, how much oil to refill with after draining.

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I've never overfilled my car but I have a Fumoto Valve fitted so even if I did happen to overfill it I could just open the valve for a second and then shut again.Much easier oil changes and less chance of mess.

Did you buy that locally?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭con747

The manufacturer's hand book will give amounts for just an oil change and for an oil and filter change which takes a little extra oil. If you don't have one Google is your best bet.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Did you buy that locally?
    No, I got it from quickvalve.co.uk

Actually, is there a resource that someone knows about that shows what the correct engine oil capacity is for various cars? As in, how much oil to refill with after draining.

Autodata would probably be the one most garages use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

if you go on to Maxol.ie you'll find a link to an oilguide that recognises most irish registrations. just type in your reg and you'll be told the correct grade and amount for your car. I use it now over Autodata as it's just so easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

if you go on to Maxol.ie you'll find a link to an oilguide that recognises most irish registrations. just type in your reg and you'll be told the correct grade and amount for your car. I use it now over Autodata as it's just so easy.

Ha, that's gas. Mrs.Rowley Birkin QC works in digital marketing for Maxol, I'll ask her first in future! Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

If the oil filter in the car is above the sump why not remove and empty the oil filter. then start the car and see where the level is. Might be easier than opening the sump.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

ardle1 wrote: »
    Yes but they want about 30 dollars to send it here.
    Its cheaper to buy it from the UK in this case, I checked thoroughly:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement