Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows tablet advice

Options
  • 04-11-2014 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Pretty much as the title says. I am looking at purchasing a new tablet. I considered android as I have an android phone but I am swade by the fact of having the full desktop on a Windows device.

I will be using the tablet mainly for college work, Microsoft office as well as photoshop and dreamweaver.

Budget will be €250 - €400

Just looking for people's advice on windows tablets that are on the market at the moment.

I was looking at the Dell Venue 11 Pro. Thoughts on this device or similar devices, would be great. Also saw the surface 2 rt but am I right in saying that is discontinued?

Also what is the difference between windows RT and windows 8

The lack of apps on windows v android isn't an issue as with the full desktop I could access anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

I have a Surface RT its a fine device. But RT means no standard desk top apps so be warned on that front!

Any windows tablet in that budget range will be underpowered for something like Photoshop... heck pretty sure for the Surface Pro 3's they only quote support on the I5 and above models.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

For college work and photoshop you might want something a bit larger than a 10 inch screen, otherwise there might be quite a bit of squinting. The Surface 2, being RT, will not let you run photoshop or dreamweaver so you can count that one out. Money no object I'd recommend the Surface Pro 3; high-res 12 inch screen, nice mechanical keyboard / cover, i3 processor (more than enough for photoshop), the pen for notes and photoshop work. Student discounts are available but you're talking 900 euro including the keyboard.

The dell is ok but is only an atom processor, you will definitely feel it with larger projects in photoshop. There are a lot of windows tablets out there in your price range but many will have just atom processors, which will work but will not be the best experience. And for college work you would probably want a keyboard (preferably integrated as a cover).

Lenovo do a good range of tablets with integrated keyboards, my dad uses a Yoga 2 (13 inch) which has a fold back keyboard. The have a 500 euro 11.6inch model which might be up your street; better CPU than the Atom, keyboard built in, plenty of HDD space etc. Again if you can stretch your budget a bit you'll get something a bit lighter and with a faster processor.

I bought a cheap and nasty Toshiba laptop my first year in college and it was a false economy; that thing was a pain in the ass and I hobbled along with it for about a year and a half. For my next laptop I spent about twice as much and it lasted me 4 years, and another 3 years with my parents. Same with my current laptop which I use for Photoshop and Lightroom; I spent a bit more in 2011 and I won't have a need to replace it until next year at the earliest.

TLDR; get the Surface Pro 3 if you can afford it!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

Hi lads,

Thanks for the reply. I would love the surface 3 but not a fear of me affording it. Thanks for the info on windows RT, after some googling I figured it out.

I have a good Acer laptop at home which I use mainly for photoshop/dreamweaver, I just like the idea of having it available on the tablet if I am out and about and need to change something. (No big creations on the tab)

My budget has actually decreased rather then increasing :(

The majority of the tablets that I have been looking at pretty much all atom based so I would be mainly using it for microsoft office and doing a small bit of photoshop and dreamweaver if possible.

Has anyone any experience with the Toshiba WT10A102? I see it has 2gb of Ram but in reviews I see people giving out about 1gb Ram.

I like the look of the Asus VivoTab 8, but I'd ideally rather a ten inch screen, I wouldn't be after anything much bigger the 10 inch as I have the laptop for the bigger jobs at home.

So with all that in mind would anyone recommoned a good budget priced tab either 8 inch or 10 inch in the region of €200 - €350

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The_Shotz wrote: »
    Hi lads,

Thanks for the reply. I would love the surface 3 but not a fear of me affording it. Thanks for the info on windows RT, after some googling I figured it out.

I have a good Acer laptop at home which I use mainly for photoshop/dreamweaver, I just like the idea of having it available on the tablet if I am out and about and need to change something. (No big creations on the tab)

My budget has actually decreased rather then increasing :(

The majority of the tablets that I have been looking at pretty much all atom based so I would be mainly using it for microsoft office and doing a small bit of photoshop and dreamweaver if possible.

Has anyone any experience with the Toshiba WT10A102? I see it has 2gb of Ram but in reviews I see people giving out about 1gb Ram.

I like the look of the Asus VivoTab 8, but I'd ideally rather a ten inch screen, I wouldn't be after anything much bigger the 10 inch as I have the laptop for the bigger jobs at home.

So with all that in mind would anyone recommoned a good budget priced tab either 8 inch or 10 inch in the region of €200 - €350

For that price I'd recommend the Dell Venue Pro 8 (€299 new) - I managed to run PhotoShop on it before, but you don't get a lot of room. You'd want to also pick up a wee Bluetooth keyboard and mouse set for it imo. I have one, and it's very solid little tablet. Alternatively, you can get a similarly specced Venue Pro 11 for €379, which is a little above your limit, but will offer more space for PhotoShop.

Is there a difference in Windows 8.1, for Small Form Factor English and windows 8.1,

I'm presuming there is as with the Dell tablets there's a difference in price between the

Windows 8.1, for Small Form Factor English
    and windows 8.1,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Is there a difference in Windows 8.1, for Small Form Factor English and windows 8.1,

I'm presuming there is as with the Dell tablets there's a difference in price between the

and windows 8.1,

I think the Small Form Factor version is for devices with screens less than 9.1 inches. Functionally they are identical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

and windows 8.1,

Bearing in mind that you have the Acer laptop for the Photoshop and Dreamweaver work, you might not want to totally rule out the Surface 2 (RT) after all.

Checking Adverts.ie I can see a few going for about 300 euro (including keyboard) and of course these include Office as well. You wouldn't be able to run "old" Windows apps, but you could at a stretch use Teamviewer or similar to access your Acer laptop when you're out and about.

Otherwise you would be recommended to go no lower than 2GB RAM, and a brand such as Dell would be a good move. To save cash you can skip the "official" keyboard accessory and get yourself a cheap Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. But if you're going to be using the Acer laptop at home you might not even need the keyboard. It can be bought later if you find you really need it (and if you've got the cash!)

Thanks for all the advice everyone, it really helps.

I looked at the surface 2 RT, due to the lack of a upc horizon app I'd like to be able to install ace stream or sopcast to watch sport on the go.

Am I right in saying on rt only the apps will work I wouldn't be able to install programmes.

PaulieC wrote: »
    I think the Small Form Factor version is for devices with screens less than 9.1 inches. Functionally they are identical.

Hi Pauline the form factor version is on the Dell 10.1 inch screen, so I'm not to sure what the difference is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Thanks for all the advice everyone, it really helps.

I looked at the surface 2 RT, due to the lack of a upc horizon app I'd like to be able to install ace stream or sopcast to watch sport on the go.

Am I right in saying on rt only the apps will work I wouldn't be able to install programmes.

That's correct, RT can only install anything available in the Store, which will not include Ace Stream or Sopcast afaik.

As for what Windows 8.1 Small Form Factor is, I'm not entirely sure to be honest, all I know is that it's definitely its the full version of Windows 8.1 (because there's an Intel Atom processor, which means its not ARM-based, which means that its not Windows RT). I suspect SFF might mean that it gets a free bundled copy of Office? In fact, I'm pretty sure its the same thing as this Small Screen Touch edition:

"Windows 8.1 Small Screen Touch devices that include Office 365 Personal..."

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote: »
    That's correct, RT can only install anything available in the Store, which will not include Ace Stream or Sopcast afaik.

As for what Windows 8.1 Small Form Factor is, I'm not entirely sure to be honest, all I know is that it's definitely its the full version of Windows 8.1 (because there's an Intel Atom processor, which means its not ARM-based, which means that its not Windows RT). I suspect SFF might mean that it gets a free bundled copy of Office? In fact, I'm pretty sure its the same thing as this Small Screen Touch edition:

"Windows 8.1 Small Screen Touch devices that include Office 365 Personal..."

Thanks MJohnson, in that case I may learn towards the Dell Venue 11 for €379, if I can't stretch the budget I'll look at the Toshiba mentioned above or the Dell 8 inch or the asus vivo tab 8

Advertisement