Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Yet another speeding thread

Options
  • 04-11-2014 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭

This morning I was travelling outbound on the N3 going past Blanchardstown doing about 95kmph. As far as I knew the speed limit on a National Road Dual Carriageway was 100kmph.

I went past a Garda van and noticed immediately everyone jamming on the breaks which made me think maybe the limit isn't 100?

There are no signs on the road that I can recall, I drive the road every day. I know inbound is 80 and has been for a few weeks but there are signs everywhere to tell you that.

Any way I can find out if I was done? I'm a bit upset by it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I'd say the limit would be the same in both directions

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you get a letter you got done. That's how you find out :)
    Next time you drive that road keep an eye on the signage and see if it changes before the spot with the van.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭bop1977

Coming from the m50 its 80 until you reach the first exit for blanchardstown(the exit with the Garda station and the fiat dealership on your left) after that it's 100 until the m3 then it's 120.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

A lot of people just brake when they see a Garda van, even if they're going under the speed limit. Very annoying but could possibly (or perhaps hopefully) be the case here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

bop1977 wrote: »
    Coming from the m50 its 80 until you reach the first exit for blanchardstown(the exit with the Garda station and the fiat dealership on your left) after that it's 100 until the m3 then it's 120.

Perfect, that's what I thought but I haven't seen any signs. I was doing 95 so I'm hoping all is okay.

Yeah, speed is different on both sides and has been that way for the last year. Road works were ongoing but they've kept the speed limit at 80, which I stick to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Rather than start another thread, I was coming up the Naas dual carriageway last night where it's 100kph limit. I'd say I was doing about 101 or maybe 102. Saw a flash in the van as I passed. I wonder will I be done and if so, how long before I'll know?

3rdDegree wrote: »
    Rather than start another thread, I was coming up the Naas dual carriageway last night where it's 100kph limit. I'd say I was doing about 101 or maybe 102. Saw a flash in the van as I passed. I wonder will I be done and if so, how long before I'll know?

101 on your speedo is usually 5kms over. As far as I read, a flash doesn't mean anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Passed said van this morning. Don't worry it was a few hundred meters in the 100 zone.

Got done earlier this morning though by a go safe. The M8 northbound was closed between j12 and j11 and they stuck a van on the old road. I was sticking to the limit and everything but went to overtake a slow truck so naturally picked up my speed to complete the maneuver, only to pull in right in front of a van.

I'm sure I saw the red dot point in my direction, glanced at the speedo and it said '3 points mofo'. At 107 on speedo I haven't a hope I'd say

Curses and I was just getting rid of two next month

MrDerp wrote: »
    Passed said van this morning. Don't worry it was a few hundred meters in the 100 zone.

Got done earlier this morning though by a go safe. The M8 northbound was closed between j12 and j11 and they stuck a van on the old road. I was sticking to the limit and everything but went to overtake a slow truck so naturally picked up my speed to complete the maneuver, only to pull in right in front of a van. I'm sure I saw the red dot point in my direction, glanced at the speedo and it said '3 points mofo'.

Ah no way!! That is a pain in the balls.

Thanks so much for the help, I couldn't remember if there was a sign for 100 or not. Huge weight off my mind :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

A lot of people just brake when they see a Garda van, even if they're going under the speed limit. Very annoying but could possibly (or perhaps hopefully) be the case here.

Doing 60 in an 80 zone? See a van? Jam on anyway!!
    :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Perfect, that's what I thought but I haven't seen any signs. I was doing 95 so I'm hoping all is okay.

There are signs, the first 100kph one is just after slip road behind the garda station.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

If it's parked within the 100 zone is it possible that it's monitoring the 80 zone before it and gets your reg as you pass?

I passed by the van last week, I was doing about 95kph passing but was probably doing 90+ in the 80 zone.

Neilw wrote: »
    If it's parked within the 100 zone is it possible that it's monitoring the 80 zone before it and gets your reg as you pass?

I passed by the van last week, I was doing about 95kph passing but was probably doing 90+ in the 80 zone.

By that measure, you're speeding up to get into the 100 zone, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

By that measure, you're speeding up to get into the 100 zone, no?

Correct, 100kph sign was ahead and I was accelerating. The van was maybe 1-200m past the 100kph sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Got done earlier this morning though by a go safe. The M8 northbound was closed between j12 and j11 and they stuck a van on the old road. I was sticking to the limit and everything but went to overtake a slow truck so naturally picked up my speed to complete the maneuver, only to pull in right in front of a van.

I'm sure I saw the red dot point in my direction, glanced at the speedo and it said '3 points mofo'. At 107 on speedo I haven't a hope I'd say

If your speedo was reading 107 chances are you were only doing 101 or 102, most speedometers over-read by 5% or so. You can calibrate it against a GPS if you have access to one. For example, when at exactly 120 on the GPS, my speedo reads 129 km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Pete67 wrote: »
    If your speedo was reading 107 chances are you were only doing 101 or 102, most speedometers over-read by 5% or so. You can calibrate it against a GPS if you have access to one. For example, when at exactly 120 on the GPS, my speedo reads 129 km/h.

I can but hope. I had an 86 speedo in an 80 with a go safe about a year ago without getting a ticket but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

They do...and it gets even funnier if there's a patrol car traveling along. A while ago I was coming down the Kinsale roundabout overpass and a Garda car was just merging into traffic up ahead. Every single brake light in front of me suddenly came on. Patrol car remained in the leftmost lane at around 80 km/h with sort of a tail of cars all afraid of going past. Indicated, brought it up to 100 and disappeared into the distance and, obviously, not a single f{ck was given by the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

The Gosafe vans don't flash I know the light you are on about so you should be OK, I was on that road early this morning too but no sign of the van.

Advertisement