Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai & Kia fined for inaccurate fuel efficiency ratings

Options
  • 04-11-2014 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭

Interesting turn in the motor industry. I'd say a few manufacturers are worried.

Two major car companies have been fined $350 million by the United States government for overstating the fuel efficiency of their cars.

Hyundai and Kia - both part of the same Korean holding group - will also have to pay almost $400m to owners of their cars, who had sued because of the figures.

The settlement with the US government, under the Clean Air Act, was described by Attorney General Eric Holder, as a development that would "send an important message to automakers around the world they must comply with the law".

Hyundai and Kia admitted to claiming that their cars were at least one mile per gallon more efficient than they actually were.

The fining of the two companies comes amid continuing controversy in the US and Europe about fuel efficiency claims by car companies.

One Italian consumer group has invited car owners to join a class action against Fiat and Volkswagen, claiming that their vehicles were between 18% and 50% less efficient than had been stated in marketing and sales material.

The European umbrella consumer body, BEUC, has referred to "green marketing tricks" by car companies and said consumers were paying for them.

BEUC Director Monique Goyens said consumers buying "supposedly efficient cars are being misled too often".

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1104/656814-car-company-fines/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Isn't there some lad on here complaining about the same thing with his i40?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,410 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Between 1mpg and 6mpg out.
    Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I beleive they are out more then 1mpg.

Great to see the Irish guberment went out and bought a ton of cheaply built Hyundai and hoping they would be saving on fuel:pac::pac::pac::pac:

They really should test cars before they buy a sh1t load and never had them before.

Ford focus/mondeo some of the best they ever had for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,705 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Wht are they not indepenently tested like the Euro NCAP tests? Surely giving your own figures is open to abuse?

Great to see the Irish guberment went out and bought a ton of cheaply built Hyundai and hoping they would be saving on fuel:pac::pac::pac::pac:

They really should test cars before they buy a sh1t load and never had them before.

How do you know they didn't test them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

colm_mcm wrote: »
    How do you know they didn't test them?

The UK did but to be honest they are not up to standard for what needed for.

Drove all types cars over the years and plenty of hyundai and find them very light not the best handling machine either.

I would like to hope they were tested but I very much doubt it as whoever thought transit connects were up to the job in 2012 when a load were bought also.

I don't expect every cop car to be a porche but at least something half decent.

The car's are not even rigged to be a proper police vehicle apart from pulling out radio and putting lights, siren and garda radio systems some ANPR also.

They could do with cars with a bit of power and a 1.6 diesel is not that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think a bigger problem is the artificial tests they do get the figures in the first place.

http://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/the-cars-that-came-out-on-top-in-realworld-mpg-test-30699705.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

The UK did but to be honest they are not up to standard for what needed for.

Drove all types cars over the years and plenty of hyundai and find them very light not the best handling machine either.

I would like to hope they were tested but I very much doubt it as whoever thought transit connects were up to the job in 2012 when a load were bought also.

I don't expect every cop car to be a porche but at least something half decent.

The car's are not even rigged to be a proper police vehicle apart from pulling out radio and putting lights, siren and garda radio systems some ANPR also.

What was the last Hyundai you drove? They have caught up to the competition nowadays and drive as good as any regular mainstream brand tbh.

Also were these even purchased to be proper police vehicles? From what I can see they are used for regular duties, the same as what the police use Astra's for in the UK.

Afaik the traffic corps use mondeos?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Why Hyundai and Kia in particular, it's not like every other manufacturer has been telling the truth in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    What was the last Hyundai you drove? They have caught up to the competition nowadays and drive as good as any regular mainstream brand tbh.

Also were these even purchased to be proper police vehicles? From what I can see they are used for regular duties, the same as what the police use Astra's for in the UK.

Couldn't fackin' tell yer guvnor, but the last cop car I drove was a Mk. I Granada wiv a free-litre Essex annat innit.

• Advertisement

Why Hyundai and Kia in particular, it's not like every other manufacturer has been telling the truth in comparison.

Ford got fined for it in the USA too afaik and had to compensate owners as well.

This whole EPA thing is a joke anyway. The USA has a lot to answer for environmentally, and a kia doing 39mpg and not 40 shouldn't be the biggest concern out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Ford got fined for it in the USA too afaik and had to compensate owners as well.

This whole EPA thing is a joke anyway. The USA has a lot to answer for environmentally, and a kia doing 39mpg and not 40 shouldn't be the biggest concern out there.

The worst mistake the Yanks made was dropping the 426 Hemi, and joining the EuroDieselHomo game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭mossy50

every car manufacter claims brilliant MPG but in truth you dont get anywhere near it

its only a ploy to get you to buy there models

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Still can't believe the Cops drive around in D-segment cars powered by 1.6 units.

Anything with a bit of power would be able to get away from them easily enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

I beleive they are out more then 1mpg.

Have an i30CW since 2008 and it's far from cheaply built. Never had a single issue with it either bar the rear brake light switch which was replaced under warranty. Don't know about the fuel thing but it does great mileage to a tank compared to the Renault we had last.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

JohnBoy26 wrote: »

Yeah bog standard family spec Mondeos for those enforcing traffic laws while the UK police forces provide their Traffic units with proper build/upgraded performance cars for motorway patrols and high spec powerful saloons etc for the regular traffic police.

Advertisement