Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So the 2015 British Open Judo Championships will be sponsored by the UFC now

Options
  • 04-11-2014 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭

http://www.britishjudo.org.uk/news/british-judo-announces-new-sponsorship-deal-with-ultimate-fighting-championship

The BJA just announced that the UFC are going to sponsor their main competition for the year. All in all, I think this should be a good thing as it will do a lot more for increasing interest in the sport than having some insurance company or whatever sponsoring it, though I do find it a bit surprising.

I guess I still kind of think of the days when UFC was basically an ad for BJJ. I know it's been a very long time since that was the case, but it is odd to see the logo on the BJA website.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,159 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I guess I still kind of think of the days when UFC was basically an ad for BJJ.

Originally that's essentially what it was, specifically a vehicle for the Gracies. An extension of the existing Gracie challange. As you said, its a different game now.

Currently, one of the biggest PPV draws in the sport is Ronda Rousey. For good reason, her performances to date have been phenomenal. I'd imagine that she's indirectly been responsible for the above sponsorship.

Advertisement