Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating one subject?

Options
  • 04-11-2014 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi there,
    I repeated my leaving cert this year and didn't get into the course I wanted. I am now taking a gap year. However, is it possible that I could take a subject this year i.e business, study it, take the exam next year for leaving cert and add the additional points on from last year? If not, how would I go about getting extra points from taking up just one subject, as I do not want to repeat again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

You can't "add" points from two different years together for points
    You can only use one year sitting for points but you can use points from year with a subject requirement from a different year. So say you failed maths last year but have the points you can use points from last year and just repeat maths this year to fulfill the course requirements. But you can't "top up" your points - only way to do that is repeat the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Minera

Have a gap few years when you are 23 you can do whatever course you like ..... unless its medicine! Have fun live life by that stage you will have had enough and you will definitely be more focused! Wish I had done that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

You will even get BTEA when you turn 23 so you wont have to flip burgers in Supermacs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Hi there,
    I repeated my leaving cert this year and didn't get into the course I wanted. I am now taking a gap year. However, is it possible that I could take a subject this year i.e business, study it, take the exam next year for leaving cert and add the additional points on from last year? If not, how would I go about getting extra points from taking up just one subject, as I do not want to repeat again.

No, points can come from one year only, requirements can come from several years.

Minera wrote: »
    Have a gap few years when you are 23 you can do whatever course you like ..... unless its medicine! Have fun live life by that stage you will have had enough and you will definitely be more focused! Wish I had done that

Yes and no. The OP is probably 18-19. It's a long time to wait around until 23, and while mature student applications are for 23+ in a popular course there is no guarantee of being offered the course.

Chris___ wrote: »
    You will even get BTEA when you turn 23 so you wont have to flip burgers in Supermacs.

BTEA is available for people who are receiving a social welfare payment (dole, disability etc). Not a generally available payment.

OP, it might be worth looking into other courses that are similar to the one you want, or consider applying to the UK if you are willing to travel.

Advertisement