Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I was wondering what watt PSU i would need with these specs

Options
  • 04-11-2014 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I am building my first gaming pc and need a good recommendation for a PSU and a motherboard aswell as if my specs are compatible.Thanks.

Here are my specs:
    CPU:Intel core i5 4460 3.2 ghz quad core processor
    Graphics card:Zotac Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 AMP edition 2GB
    Hard drive:WD Black 1tb
    RAM:G.Skill sniper series 8GB(2x4GB)
    Optical Drive:Asus drw-24b1st/blk/b/as
    Operating system:Windows 8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

DylanK246 wrote: »
    I am building my first gaming pc and need a good recommendation for a PSU and a motherboard aswell as if my specs are compatible.Thanks.

Here are my specs:
    CPU:Intel core i5 4460 3.2 ghz quad core processor
    Graphics card:Zotac Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 AMP edition 2GB
    Hard drive:WD Black 1tb
    RAM:G.Skill sniper series 8GB(2x4GB)
    Optical Drive:Asus drw-24b1st/blk/b/as
    Operating system:Windows 8

Going on you spec and with this graphic card its best 600w to 650w
    See link for psu required
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/zotac-geforce-gtx-770-1110mhz-2gb-pci-e-3-0-hdmi-amp--edition-8QVN.html

also i find this site good for calculations
    http://support.asus.com/powersupply.aspx

Sometimes its overkill but its always good for extra power in case you upgrade or add to the machine.

Also motherboard would be something like ASRock B85M Pro4, Sockel 1150, mATX would be a good for the build the cpu you have would not be recommended for overclocking so this board would do. compatible with both memory and cpu but you can check this with part numbers on the cpu support list and memory support list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I thought I'd piggie-back this thread instead of starting a new one.

Looking for reliable PSU in the 800-1000 watt range.

Reasons for so much are OCs and a r9 290x or gtx980 card.

I currently have a 550w and its crashed a good few times i reckon from not enough juice. Currently using 7870HD OC to 1200mhz and i5-2500k OC to 4.3Ghz.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Taylor365 wrote: »
    I thought I'd piggie-back this thread instead of starting a new one.

Looking for reliable PSU in the 800-1000 watt range.

Reasons for so much are OCs and a r9 290x or gtx980 card.

I currently have a 550w and its crashed a good few times i reckon from not enough juice. Currently using 7870HD OC to 1200mhz and i5-2500k OC to 4.3Ghz.

What power supply do you currently have? I'm not as up on things like peer draw as I used to be but I think 550w should handle what you currently have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

550w is more than enough for that setup. I have a 4790 and an r9 290 OC'd on a 500w.

That setup wouldn't pull more than about 300-320w.

Unless it's faulty, or its just a cheapo power supply.

• Advertisement

Tis a Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550w.

The 7870HD OC to 1200mhz hits around 250-300w alone.

The 4.4Ghz i5 2500k pulls around 100-150w

I've entered my system into a few 'PSU Calculators', and on full load it ranges from 400-650w.

I have no measuring tool so I'm just going by average readings on the web for overclocks + all the peripherals.

Tis a Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550w.

The 7870HD OC to 1200mhz hits around 250-300w alone.

The 4.4Ghz i5 2500k pulls around 100-150w

I've entered my system into a few 'PSU Calculators', and on full load it ranges from 400-650w.

I have no measuring tool so I'm just going by average readings on the web for overclocks + all the peripherals.

Dunno where you're getting those figures. 300w for a 7870?! An OC'd 7870 would pull about 180w overclocked, a stock 7870 pulls about 150w. You can't even physically draw near that power with a 7870, it's just not possible with dual six pin connectors.

I have a feeling you've been taking total system consumption in card reviews as the single card consumption.

I can assure you that a 550w PSU is more than enough for that setup, you have plenty headroom.

Unless it's actually faulty of course.

Of course the other thing is, and I don't mean this is a demeaning way, but if you haven't a clue about what wattage your system is and what parts are drawing, I'd be more inclined to think it's a bad overclock that's causing system instability.

Dunno where you're getting those figures. 300w for a 7870?! An OC'd 7870 would pull about 180w overclocked, a stock 7870 pulls about 150w. You can't even physically draw near that power with a 7870, it's just not possible with dual six pin connectors.

I have a feeling you've been taking total system consumption in card reviews as the single card consumption.

I can assure you that a 550w PSU is more than enough for that setup, you have plenty headroom.

Unless it's actually faulty of course.

Of course the other thing is, and I don't mean this is a demeaning way, but if you haven't a clue about what wattage your system is and what parts are drawing, I'd be more inclined to think it's a bad overclock that's causing system instability.
    :eek: So rude!

j/k :p

I tested the OC under specific instructions for prime95 for 1 hour at a time. Once i went to 4.5ghz, the temps were getting too hot so i stuck with 4.4.

You could be right, but i took the 7870 wattage from a guru3d review:

We'll be calculating the GPU power consumption here, not the total PC power consumption.

Measured power consumption R7870

System in IDLE = 157W
    System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 274W
    Difference (GPU load) = 117W
    Add average IDLE wattage ~10W
    Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 127 Watts

And that's with no OC on the card. Maybe different brands handle differently?

What is the best way to nail down how much I'm using? Buy a meter?

:eek: So rude!
    We'll be calculating the GPU power consumption here, not the total PC power consumption.[/I]

Measured power consumption R7870

System in IDLE = 157W
    System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 274W
    Difference (GPU load) = 117W
    Add average IDLE wattage ~10W
    Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 127 Watts

And that's with no OC on the card. Maybe different brands handle differently?

What is the best way to nail down how much I'm using? Buy a meter?

You kinda answered your own question there!

What they're saying is the 7870 is consuming about 130w under load.

The 274w is the entire system draw under load. :)

You kinda answered your own question there!

What they're saying is the 7870 is consuming about 130w under load.

The 274w is the entire system draw under load. :)
    Excellenté!

Thanks for clearing that up. :D

So my 550w should be fine if i upgrade to a r9 290x!

• Advertisement

Unless you get an exceptionally good price, the best value at the moment is the R9 290 at around €280, or the GTX970 at around €330. I wouldn't bother with the 290x!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 DylanK246

Hi i just want to say thanks for all the feed back but i am stuck between the zotac gtx 770 and a r9 290 which one would be better?
    i would also like to know if the build i have so far would be capable of running skyrim on ultra with mods thanks :)

The r9 290 is the far better choice between those two. It's a faster card, has more vram, and they cost about the same at the moment, so it's really a no-brainer.

The extra VRAM will help with modded Skyrim.

Download Skyrim performance monitor to see how it performs.

Mine with an ENB + 4k textures (and 100 other wee mods) was drawing near the 2GB line....while standing still! Great for getting pics but crashes after 5 minutes of gameplay. :D

Forget about 'Ultra' :P

Okay thanks for clearing that up for me it really helped all i need to know now is if i still should get a 600 watt PSU with the r9 290

Also does it matter much what brand i get for the r9 290

Just to come back to this.

I bought a Wattage meter and played around with benchmarks.

Was pulling 250w with Heaven on extreme settings and 300w with watchdogs maxed using worse-mod + config.

I'll try the same benchmarks when i get a 290 see where i'm at :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Skyrim is easy to run with vanilla textures Dylan, my old Radeon 7770 pulled a solid 60fps on Ultra. Sapphire are the most solid brand for AMD cards, but MSI, Gigabyte etc will be fine.

I've have a 280X on a 400W PSU so you shouldn't need 600W. A Thermaltake Hamburg is 530W for €40 or Berlin is €60 and it's 630W if you wanted the overhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

Sorry for bringing up and old thread, but I have a similar question. I'm building a PC very soon and I have some questions about the PSU as its a bit confusing with the research I found online. I'm gonna be running a 290x combined with a 4690k(which i will overclock). What watt PSU should I be looking for? online suggests in the 600-700w range. Also I'm planning on getting a 1440p monitor for this setup and I believe that I will have to get another 290x in there in a year or so to keep the fps high, so should I get an even higher PSU then? they get quite expensive the more powerful they are

750w will power 2 290x. A single 290x should be okay for 1440p though, for a while anyways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Yeah, you won't need any more than a 450W unit for one 290X.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

I want to build this pc in the nzxt source 340 case. Do you think I should just ditch the massive psu for now then, and just have the single card setup? I feel like 2 290's in there will be way too hot, thats even if they fit. Or should I go for a different case? (really liking the s340, especially at that price!)

Just to come back to this.

I bought a Wattage meter and played around with benchmarks.

Was pulling 250w with Heaven on extreme settings and 300w with watchdogs maxed using worse-mod + config.

I'll try the same benchmarks when i get a 290 see where i'm at :P
    To dig her up again...

I've put in a 390 and am pulling 450w with watchdogs maxed using worse-mod + config(and 30 more fps).

I take it I'm ok with my 3 year old 550w super-flower bronze?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

To dig her up again...

I've put in a 390 and am pulling 450w with watchdogs maxed using worse-mod + config(and 30 more fps).

I take it I'm ok with my 3 year old 550w super-flower bronze?

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭xtal191

I'll ask here instead of making a new thread.

I have a 8320, 8gb, 7970, Samsung SSD, 1tb hd and a corsiar vx550. Would my psu be able to run a r9 290? Or is it time to upgrade?

Unless you're planning a hefty overclocked on the card and CPU you're grand, even then it'd only be raising the output, you won't max that PSU on that

Advertisement