Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Training plan

Options
  • 04-11-2014 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

I have just completed Dublin marathon following Jeff Gaudette 3:30 training plan on Runkeeper. I came in on 3:21. I would continued with Runkeeper, only for they dont have any faster plans.

Previously I used a plan by Seb Locteau in June to get a 3:45

I would like to get a Boston qualifier, which for 2014 I would have needed a 3:13, so I think I need to aim for a 3:10.

I have read alot of postive comments on older threads about P&Ds plans, is this still considered one of the better plans?

Ideally i would like to keep it to no more than 5 days traing per week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

The P&D 35-55mpw plan has you running no more than 5 days a week and should be sufficient. I went from 3:34 to 3:08 following that plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Bawnmore_Ent.

yaboya1 wrote: »
    The P&D 35-55mpw plan has you running no more than 5 days a week and should be sufficient. I went from 3:34 to 3:08 following that plan.

Wow,that's a massive improvement on time. Was that an 18 week training plan.

I have preregistered for the 70.3 Ironman in Dublin next year, and am just considering if I put cycling and swimming in on top of the P&D plan , as well as work/family commitments am I taking on too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I have preregistered for the 70.3 Ironman in Dublin next year, and am just considering if I put cycling and swimming in on top of the P&D plan , as well as work/family commitments am I taking on too much.

Only thing about P&D, it doesnt do any speed sessions which are very important, ie 5 x 1 miles etc. So maybe add this into your plan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I followed the 12 week plan.
    Only thing about P&D, it doesnt do any speed sessions which are very important, ie 5 x 1 miles etc. So maybe add this into your plan

It does do a few speed sessions. All the VO2 Max stuff is done at your 3-5k race pace (5x600m, 5x1000m, 4x1200m, 3x1600m).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

It does do speed sessions. You shouldn't add any more in. It's a periodised training plan largely built on top of Lydiard principles which has different phases of development. Adding in extra speed sessions would be counter productive. Lots of people will follows a plan for 5k/10k races before doing marathon training which can be a good way of addressing any concerns about speed going into a marathon training cycle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement