Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sprinting to long distance?

Options
  • 03-11-2014 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi there 😄
    I play a lot of soccer and other ball sports that generally involve me playing as a striker or some equivilant, that involves a lot of sprinting. This suits me fine as I am naturally a sprinter rather than a long distance runner. However, the winter is more approaching and I was considering going to my local gym to save myself from the elements! 🙈 I was wondering if it is possible to have some kind of sprinting programme on the treadmill, or would I be better off doing long distance. Previous winters I have switched to doing 5k several times a week but was wondering if, considering my natural disposition to sprinting, I would be better off continuing with that?
    Thanks for any advice you may have ðŸ‘

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Hi there 😄
    I play a lot of soccer and other ball sports that generally involve me playing as a striker or some equivilant, that involves a lot of sprinting. This suits me fine as I am naturally a sprinter rather than a long distance runner. However, the winter is more approaching and I was considering going to my local gym to save myself from the elements! 🙈 I was wondering if it is possible to have some kind of sprinting programme on the treadmill, or would I be better off doing long distance. Previous winters I have switched to doing 5k several times a week but was wondering if, considering my natural disposition to sprinting, I would be better off continuing with that?
    Thanks for any advice you may have ðŸ‘

Why not join a sprint group and train outdoors?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

You should definitely look to work outdoors instead of on a treadmill. I would say that the ' sprinting' that you do in team sports does not really resemble real sprinting on a track . If you are able to do 5k , then to benefit your team sports , you might be better concentrating on that sort of distance over the winter and try to better your times at that distance ( Parkruns are ideal for that) . You won't get too much opurtunity to do much sprinting unless you join a club and be properly coached etc etc, and you are also now into the indoor season , so you need to be in a club that intends competing indoors . Where are you based and maybe we can guide you about what clubs might best suit .

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭football girl

PVincent wrote: »
    You should definitely look to work outdoors instead of on a treadmill. I would say that the ' sprinting' that you do in team sports does not really resemble real sprinting on a track . If you are able to do 5k , then to benefit your team sports , you might be better concentrating on that sort of distance over the winter and try to better your times at that distance ( Parkruns are ideal for that) . You won't get too much opurtunity to do much sprinting unless you join a club and be properly coached etc etc, and you are also now into the indoor season , so you need to be in a club that intends competing indoors . Where are you based and maybe we can guide you about what clubs might best suit .

I'm in college in Galway. Thanks for you help.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

Most treadmills don't go past 20kph anyway, except is the likes of university gyms so that option is out for you!

Advertisement