Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is the hardest step up?

Options
  • 03-11-2014 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭

After an injury hit first year of running I'm hoping to step things up distance-wise next year. I'm wondering what people think is the biggest and toughest step?

couch - 5k
    5k - 10k
    10k - 1/2 marathon
    1/2 - full

I started running in March and it took me a good 6 weeks before I could run a full 5k, it took me another 6 weeks or so to get up to 10k. Injury hit not long after that and I can only run about once a week now, never further than 6k. I'd love to run the DCM next year if I can stay injury free. I intend doing a half early in the summer and see how I get on with that first.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The couch to 5km I think, all of the others are just increasing what you are already doing.
    It may take longer to cover the increase in training miles from half to full, but you are already well on the way once you've got as far as running a half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

After the C25K the jump from the half to the full marathon is huge. Different game.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I think 5k -> 10k -> HM is a fairly natural progression.

It's tough to get off the couch at the start, particularly if carrying a lot of extra weight - been there, done that, lost it.

I think the gap from just finishing a HM to just finishing a marathon is significant. If you're putting in the mileage on a regular basis to be able to have a decent crack at a half though, you should be able to finish a marathon on around 12 weeks of specific training because the base is there. To really race a marathon and hit an aggressive time target is a different beast though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 KanyeWest

Couch to 5k hands down.

Its going from nothing to running. The others are all running to more running.

Changing behaviour is the hardest thing you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Personally I found it easier going from 5k - 10k than C25k. My longest runs were 12k before injury and it was grand, beyond that I really don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 RunningFree 2014

I found it so difficult to complete C25K. I had never run before (or done any regular exercise) so it was a completely new experience for me. I didn't know what kind of gear, socks, runners I needed so everything was an experiment and there was plenty of blisters and overdressed runs along the way. I didn't know how best to fuel my runs, when to eat, what pace was ok, where the best routes were... There was a lot of kinks to iron out! Once I had done this, built my confidence by completing the plan and then actually created a baseline of fitness I found it relatively easy, and a lot of fun, to get myself to 10k. After that I trained for a 10 mile race and then the Dublin half and even though they did require more time and commitment I found them fairly ok. I noticed I was getting sick quite a bit near the end of half training though but I think I just wasn't eating enough to fuel long runs. My body was definitely capable of the race though and the small increments in distance in each race meant I had plenty of confidence in my abilities at the start line as I knew that it was just a little bit more than what I had done before.

I have my sights set on completing a full now and I'm terrified.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ArtieFufkin

Half>Marathon for me.
    The others all came naturally without really much in the way of training plans etc. I just went out there and ran (but in ever increasing amounts!).

The marathon is always going to be tough if you want to do anything more than simply go the distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

gerard_65 wrote: »
    After the C25K the jump from the half to the full marathon is huge. Different game.

+ 1 for this, C25K is the toughest but then the jump from 10K to HM is almost equally as difficult, the jump from HM to full marathon is quite easy comparatively (i thought!). If your planning a half then a full I'd get used to running, even a couple of miles or so, 5-6 days a week. It'll stand to you when the time comes as you'll just be building on that mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭BobMc

half to full, I'm guessing, a C25K graduate myself (4yrs ago) went from the 5k couch into 10k's with not much bother, the step from 10k to half only marginally tougher, pushing on to break full cherry in 2015, but in fairness I know if I approach with the right mental attitude I'll manage it if I train properly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭corny

Physically, without question, its HM to marathon.

Couch to 5K is something new but its straightforward by comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Agree with most here, getting off couch hardest so well done. Next I would say half to full marathon for me. Need to look at fueling and fluid intake. Take care with trying to do quick 5km and long distance in same season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

For me, definitely going from absolutely nothing to 5k was the hardest. Those first few runs from getting off the couch to running 60 seconds at a time were the hardest running I've ever done.
    I don't think half to full marathon is that big a deal once you have a decent base behind you. If it's done too quickly then I can imagine it's a very difficult step up but if you're running half marathon distances for about a year and then progress gradually to full I don't think it should be that difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I have no experience of the couch to 5k, but can imagine it probably is the most difficult since you're going from absolutely nothing to running.

However, I don't think there's any doubt that of the others, the HM to marathon is by far the hardest step up. All of the others are pretty natural progressions imo.

I hope that I'll have the answer myself this time next year.

It's obviously a different kind of training for the really long distances, all I want to do is be able to run a HM then a full without stopping, time doesn't come into it for me, not on my first attempts. Is there really any point in doing any 5k runs througout the year (other than Parkrun) or doing anything at pace? Should it be all about the distance?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭inigo

For me the hardest is finding the motivation to start running again after completing my first marathon (and it was an over 5h trail marathon). This is happening to me right as I'm writing these words... And I'm signed up for the 25k Run the Line at the end of the month!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Wow, just got a flashback to my first run. I forgot how hard it was. The first day I thought I'd damaged my lungs :pac::pac: The only thing that kept me going was a post on my cousin's facebook page that said...you'll never regret going for a run, but you'll always regret not going for one.

I've only made it to the 5-10k part and I've found it all hard :o I didn't follow the C25k exactly. I started on it, but I had no way of keeping track of time and I was pushing a buggy so I just went lamp post to lamp post and when I felt ready, pushed on to the next one etc etc. So I was way behind the plan when it came to running a full 5k with no stopping or walking.

Half Marathon is in my bones, I can feel it! So hopefully I can push on and might be writing about that this time next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭crisco10

RonanP77 wrote: »
    I hope that I'll have the answer myself this time next year.

It's obviously a different kind of training for the really long distances, all I want to do is be able to run a HM then a full without stopping, time doesn't come into it for me, not on my first attempts. Is there really any point in doing any 5k runs througout the year (other than Parkrun) or doing anything at pace? Should it be all about the distance?

Half the battle of training is keeping mentally fresh, I did a few 5km/Parkrun at the start of my training cycle this year to keep myself motivated. (I found it difficult to train for something 5 months away!). Then as distance increased significantly on the training plan, I drifted away from pace stuff; rather just concentrating on recovery from the distance (and Tag rugby injuries!).

If you're just looking to finish i don't think "pace" work is essential, but it does help you keep fresh in a training cycle. A run at blowout pace every so often can be refreshing.

And to answer the OP; I think the most physically challenging step up is HM to full marathon. Takes a lot of management to avoid injury etc. On the otherhand, mentally the toughest is C25k. Seen a few people go thru the process of learning what should and shouldn't hurt; how fast and far to go etc. It is a real struggle.

Thanks for that crisco, I started a new thread on the longer distance question just before your answer popped up, I figured the question might just get lost in here.

I can see how the odd fast run would still be good, a bit of stress relief.

Advertisement