Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self-Taught Accounting LC

• 03-11-2014 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi! I'm a 6th year student. I came across the Accounting subject for leaving cert, I was thinking if it would be possible to learn it by myself when I'm starting this late and my exams are next year. I thought of doing Accounting because it was my favourite section in the paper for JC Business and maybe it'd save the points I will need for the subjects I'm weak at. Opinions and recommendations please? Thank you!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭koolis02

I would say no. You really need a teacher to explain accounting to you, what side figures go on and why, debit and credit. Teaching it by yourself would be very hard. It is way way more difficult than JC business accounting section. Jc business is baby stuff compared to leaving cert.
    Even with a teacher explaining it to me i often struggle with higher level parts of accounting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

I wouldn't go as far as that in saying it's difficult. Some parts can be a bit confusing but once you know the basic rules most of it is okay. A lot of the questions asked are very similar to other years, just different figures. It certainly wouldn't be impossible for you to take up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rael12345

thank you for the advises! I'm still having thoughts about it because I know I'll have to be very committed to it and time is my problem. I already have so much for the rest of my subjects to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mayogirlie1

I'm doing accounting in school and I have a brilliant teacher and got an A in junior cert business and to be honest I'm finding it difficult enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Gaamad123

rael12345 wrote: »
    Hi! I'm a 6th year student. I came across the Accounting subject for leaving cert, I was thinking if it would be possible to learn it by myself when I'm starting this late and my exams are next year. I thought of doing Accounting because it was my favourite section in the paper for JC Business and maybe it'd save the points I will need for the subjects I'm weak at. Opinions and recommendations please? Thank you!

Definitely go for it! I do accounting in school, and it's by far my easiest subject. If your good at it, it would be easy points. Buy yourself a revise wise and start with the q1s. I would think there would be no problem covering it in one year, but take a chance and not do some accounts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

Gaamad123 wrote: »
    Definitely go for it! I do accounting in school, and it's by far my easiest subject. If your good at it, it would be easy points. Buy yourself a revise wise and start with the q1s. I would think there would be no problem covering it in one year, but take a chance and not do some accounts

This right here, I can assure you 100%, is the exception and not the rule. It's not extremely hard to get but the timing and bits and pieces to remember will make it reasonably difficult.

http://www.egs.ie/accountancy/links.html The David Wilson site is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

It's not the toughest A1 in that if you know what you're doing full marks in a question is very doable. I really think it'd be tough to do on your own though, as opposed to business for example. There's way too much understanding required to do it on your own I think.

Advertisement