Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scabby portions

Options
  • 03-11-2014 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭

you know when you order food in a restaurant/takeaway, expecting a decent amount of grub, but end up ripped off with a woeful excuse for a meal due to the portion sizes being just plain scabby?

happened me there recently with some indian cousine and a lousy desert , feel free to share your food faux pas :0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

The last place that I taught was really scabby was just wing it in Tallaght.

Fair enough have nice wings but burgers tiny and total rip off.

Aussie outback across from them on the other hand very very good value!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

There's a chippy near me thats really good, nice big kebab and chicken wings, but the bags of chips are never even half full.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

* smug post about obesity * .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Old rule of thumb, the more expensive the restaurant, the less they give you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Worse when you go to a til in a supermarket with a fvcking sandwich and yer one says 'oh thats groceries you have to use another til'.
    while shes serving people smokes and chocolate bars and lotto tickets ... its a fvcking sandwich not a set of pans and a 12 pack of toilet rolls.

Anything else while your at it, no you have to take that to the sandwich department in the sandwich room in the basement, do you have a sandwich club membership card, this floor is only for aulones buying lotto tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

When ordering, ask for 2 dinners on one plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Robsweezie wrote: »
    you know when you order food in a restaurant/takeaway, expecting a decent amount of grub, but end up ripped off with a woeful excuse for a meal due to the portion sizes being just plain scabby?

happened me there recently with some indian cousine and a lousy desert , feel free to share your food faux pas :0

There a was restaurant in the Algarve which literally counted out the number of chips on the plate. The desert was one mean scoop of ice cream and you'd never be nearly full leaving, but I liked the place, happy scabby memories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

When you get a good portion of food, and a thimble full of coke...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    There a was restaurant in the Algarve which literally counted out the number of chips on the plate. The desert was one mean scoop of ice cream and you'd never be nearly full leaving, but I liked the place, happy scabby memories

I hate when you're supposed to get chips with your dinner and you get 3 giant chips on the plate. If I wanted potatoes I'd have asked for them. Give me my chips

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

"I need a lot of food. I'm big-boned..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I prefer portions of scabs to be meagre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭66ad

Went to get a ham and cheese roll one day for lucnh, they cut one thinly sliced piece of ham, into pieces to spread over the entire roll...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

There is a lovely kebab place in local town. I ordered once a kebab and taco chips. If was 18eu... Both were lovely, but jaysus, I felt still hungry after finishing it as it was tiny.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

2 scoops of mash i got one day, and used always get my 5 scoops in the same place for my lunch, place was always great for portions but apparently they got a new chef, who thinks less is more, have not gone back sense all because they wanted to save maybe 10c on a spud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Robsweezie wrote: »

Maybe they were trying to tell you that you're fat...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I was in a place where the waitress said they gave 13 french fries with whatever it was. Laughed as you do thinking it was a figure of speech.

Plate came out with 13 french fries :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I used to work in a deli and when it came to lunch-time, I'd be busy making up rolls.

This guy came everyday for a tuna,mayo sweetcorn roll.
    I'd split the roll open and fill the roll with the mixture-with what I thought was decent,
    One day my manager took me aside and told me I had to use the mix sparingly. He then proceeded to show me how much to use and my God, it was meagre looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I get Nasi Goreng at a local Indian place and always have to ask them to put the rest in tinfoil, just can't eat it all in one sitting. And it's about 12 euro or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Bombay Pantry is stingy with meat. And expensive to boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Old rule of thumb, the more expensive the restaurant, the less they give you.

Jaypers in that case the new subway that opened up on bolton street is feckin extortionate! I asked for a sub and got, about 5 pieces of chicken, 6 bits of lettuce, and three slices of a pepper, and the guy was like thats a fiver :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

2 scoops of mash i got one day, and used always get my 5 scoops in the same place for my lunch, place was always great for portions but apparently they got a new chef, who thinks less is more, have not gone back sense all because they wanted to save maybe 10c on a spud.

Don't get why some places are so precious about spuds but will overload you with meat. A place I know will give you 2 or 3 large slices of beef (which you'd have trouble getting through) but if you're lucky you'll get 2 tiny scoops of spud and one large spoon of veg. Surely it should be the other way around from their point of view!

Whenever Im at a hot counter now I just tell em to not be shy about loading up on spuds. It's going to the cost the same anyway so you might as well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

biko wrote: »
    I get Nasi Goreng at a local Indian place and always have to ask them to put the rest in tinfoil, just can't eat it all in one sitting. And it's about 12 euro or so.
    For a second I thought you meant Nazi Goering :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,247 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Miser!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Saw an ad in the window of fortes in Rathgar advertising fish and chips for a fiver so said id try it. Got what resembled a cod finger and about 12 chips.
    Feck off

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭TheBrinch

This thread is making me hungry :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭maniac2000

the deli beside me in work is the worst for this..... I ask for chicken so chicken goes into the roll... then she REMOVES some of the chicken from the roll!!!!! drives me mad - to make it worse she has small hands so not a lot of chicken is scouped up to begin with!!

drives me crazy but it's the only shop in the area. Its not your chicken so fill the bloody roll ya scab!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

I never go back to a place where I ordered steak that fitted snugly on a plate.

A good medium rare pan seared sirloin steak should overflow the plate but won't fall off because it should be weighed down by a pyramid of golden chips and deep fried beer batter onion rings. And for main course....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

Do you pay for your food by the kg in Restaurants and Take away's

I thought that was just in Shops

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I don't know, I usually have the opposite problem.
    Most portions these days I haven't a hope in Hades of getting through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Chips in burger boxes. If a place does this I never go back. Also those little white plastic trays. And when you see on the menu, the onion rings or garlic mushrooms. "Six per portion". **** off with your six, I want a decent handful. Something very poxy about six onion rings.

Advertisement