Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying UK import from Dublin garage

Options
  • 03-11-2014 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭

Spotted a car I liked on Carzone. Made an inquiry to the garage and was told it was a UK import (2011) and had not yet been re-registered or taxed. It's a Kia and is under guarantee till 2018 under their 7 year warranty.

Should I be nervous of a UK import? It comes with an AA check.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

you cant buy a UK registered car in republic of ireland. Stay away unless its on irish plates as you could be fined for late VRT payment

(edited as CHP puts down below...you can view on UK plates...just dont buy :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

you cant buy a UK registered car in republic of ireland. Stay away unless its on irish plates as you could be fined for late VRT payment

Dealers will register the car before you buy it.
    If it's one of the naas road dealers it seems commonplace these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Dealers will register the car before you buy it.
    If it's one of the naas road dealers it seems commonplace these days.

It's a Kia dealer and they say "It remains unregistered in Ireland until its new owner details are placed on the vehicle with the revenue". Never bought a UK import before. Is there anything I should look out for?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Despite the common perception put out there by certain groups with a vested interest, UK imports are not the devil. There is nothing to fear over a similar Irish car once you carry out proper pre-purchase background checks. In fact generally there is alot more information available on second hand UK cars than there is available on Irish cars. A history check report along with ringing the garages that stamped the service history book is essential.

Also it is standard practice for a garage not to have an Irish reg plate on a second hand UK car they are selling. A legit dealer will do this as part of the registration process when the new owner buys the car from them. And of course it will not be taxed as it cannot be taxed if it has not got an Irish registration yet.

Have a skim through the importing a car from the UK thread below, alot of information you need to know is in the first few pages:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=176389

It's a Kia dealer and they say "It remains unregistered in Ireland until its new owner details are placed on the vehicle with the revenue". Never bought a UK import before. Is there anything I should look out for?

Do a cartell report.
    Don't just accept the dealer handing one, do your own.

Other than that, the thread Bazz26 links to is a mine of information on buying a UK car. Aside from (2010 and older) cars getting stupid registration numbers there isn't much to worry about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

(edited as CHP puts down below...you can view on UK plates...just dont buy :P)

even if op did buy the car on uk plates,it wouldnt matter how long it was here pervious op is only libel for any vrt from the date op purchase's the car

• Registered Users Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

vinnie13 wrote: »
    even if op did buy the car on uk plates,it wouldnt matter how long it was here pervious op is only libel for any vrt from the date op purchase's the car

Not the case. He would be liable from import date. Dealer could put on Irish plates and pay vrt as chp pointed out above. But if op bought and took away on UK plates, op would be liable for vrt from import date normally.

vinnie13 wrote: »

Strong the level of misinformation in this one is.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

Not the case. He would be liable from import date. Dealer could put on Irish plates and pay vrt as chp pointed out above. But if op bought and took away on UK plates, op would be liable for vrt from import date normally.

not the case at all..once op produces a reciept to the vrt they will be charged vrt from that date NOT any previous owners vrt.

i suggest you ring revenue to clarify this as there seems to be a copule here with no understanding of vrt and commenting using hear say from a mate or other ill informed sorce
    i have regerestered a vast amount of vehicles and am fimular with vrt and its procedures.

Advertisement