Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY skiing

Options
  • 03-11-2014 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Hi, I'm looking for suggestions for a budget 4-5 day ski trip for early next year.
    I've been to Oberstdorf twice and great for this type of trip but Ryanair seem to be only doing weekly flights next year.
    Ideally looking for somewhere within 1 to 2 hrs transfer time from a Ryanair served airport. Flying on a Weds returning of a Sunday, allowing 3 full days skiing.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

PCwiggum wrote: »
    Hi, I'm looking for suggestions for a budget 4-5 day ski trip for early next year.
    I've been to Oberstdorf twice and great for this type of trip but Ryanair seem to be only doing weekly flights next year.
    Ideally looking for somewhere within 1 to 2 hrs transfer time from a Ryanair served airport. Flying on a Weds returning of a Sunday, allowing 3 full days skiing.

I Just organised Thursday to Sunday in Soll in Jan. Aer Lingus do 2 flights daily, and one is at 7am so we get to Munich at 10.30 am and we don't fly out till 8pm on the Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭maddness

Bergamo evening flights out and back. Fly out Wednesday night, ski Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sunday and fly home Sunday night.
    Cervinia is about two hours drive.

Otherwise Aer Lingus to Milan Malpensa, again both flights are evenings. Ski Sauze, La Thuile, Champlouc all within two hours drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PCwiggum

Thanks guys, I''ll have a look into those options.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭crosbie

Have a look at Garmisch in Bavaria. We went there last year. Cheap as chips. Fly Munich (Aer Lingus) or Memmingen (Ryanair) and get train down.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PCwiggum

crosbie wrote: »
    Have a look at Garmisch in Bavaria. We went there last year. Cheap as chips. Fly Munich (Aer Lingus) or Memmingen (Ryanair) and get train down.

I'm edging towards Soll at the moment after reading other posts, but I'll keep it in mind. I'm guessing its pretty similar to Oberstdorf moneywise etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

PCwiggum wrote: »
    I'm edging towards Soll at the moment after reading other posts, but I'll keep it in mind. I'm guessing its pretty similar to Oberstdorf moneywise etc.

I booked everything online inc accommodation via booking.com. The info for those I contacted and the various responses is in the Soll thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057121460

It was pretty painless to book I have to say, id like to have done the transfer without renting a car train sounds good but I wanted to get on site ASAP to use as much of the Thursday afternoon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

A long weekend in Soll is SO easy! all the info is in the Soll thread, train is only €25, 90min transfer, great craic, great skiing, great restaurants & après. Do it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

I arrange a trip for a gang every year and we do the Friday morning 7am flight to Munich, returning 8pm on the Wednesday night. I arrange a transfer bus and we have done Kirchberg once and Mayrhofen twice this way. We get 2 to 4 hours on the slopes on Friday afternoon, three full days Saturday to Monday and we ski Tuesday morning until 1pm.
    Mayrhofen is a great resort and has lots of good runs and other resorts nearby that use the same ski pass. Our hotel works out at €99 per person per night but there are cheaper options at around €60ish per night.

Advertisement