Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to tax my blog's income

Options
  • 03-11-2014 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I moved to Ireland last year and looking for advise on taxation.

I am a non-EU national, employed full-time (40K+ a year). Recently I launched a blog which started to make 2-4k per month, but I also have costs (1-2k per month to advertise it).

If I understand correctly, using sole trader solution (given my higher tax bucket) I would have to pay around 50-52% off my income which makes it unprofitable.

Limited company is taxed at 12,5%, my question is how do clear my ltd company's income into my personal account? Is there another tax and if so which?

Thanks for all helpful comments,
    Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Pay an accountant?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭Tow

tomde wrote: »
    Limited company is taxed at 12,5%, my question is how do clear my ltd company's income into my personal account? Is there another tax and if so which?

You can use your internet banking to move the company money into your personal account, but then have to pay the 50-52% tax on it!

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tomde

Tow wrote: »
    You can use your internet banking to move the company money into your personal account, but then have to pay the 50-52% tax on it!

Thanks! Is there any other formation which could let me stay profitable?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gard1

I am a non-EU national, employed full-time (40K+ a year). Recently I launched a blog which started to make 2-4k per month, but I also have costs (1-2k per month to advertise it).

If I understand correctly, using sole trader solution (given my higher tax bucket) I would have to pay around 50-52% off my income which makes it unprofitable.

Tom

you only pay the 52% on your net profit ie 4k less 2k costs = 2k meaning tax at aprox 1k still leaving you up 1k

Ltd company is an option but better go with sole trader until it develops unless you need the limited liability to protect you personally from liable proceedings if someone sues the blog

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tomde

Thank you, so there's no cheaper (legal) options then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gard1

Thank you, so there's no cheaper (legal) options then?

A lot of this also depends on your status single married if married what income has your partner.

Ltd co will attract corporation tax at 12.5% if you don't need the money to live on then you can leave it in the company it will only attract the high tax rate if you take money back out in a salary

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Tom

As a soletrader you would be paying 51/52% of your profit (income - expenses).

You may be able to attribute some extra expenses to your sole trade and I would advise talking to an accountant about this.

Also I would consider whether contributing to a pension for tax relief may be a good way to reduce your tax exposure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Gard1 wrote: »
    A lot of this also depends on your status single married if married what income has your partner.

Ltd co will attract corporation tax at 12.5% if you don't need the money to live on then you can leave it in the company it will only attract the high tax rate if you take money back out in a salary

Except that it will be a close company, so potential close company surcharge if he doesn't take enough out as salary or dividend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Except that it will be a close company, so potential close company surcharge if he doesn't take enough out as salary or dividend.

Except that the close company surcharge applies to investment and estate income, and this will be a trading company. He'll be a long time accumulating enough profit to be worried about close co surcharge on the interest...

Unless you're talking about the professional services company surcharge, which also obviously won't apply, as the company won't be carrying on a profession or a professional service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Except that the close company surcharge applies to investment and estate income, and this will be a trading company. He'll be a long time accumulating enough profit to be worried about close co surcharge on the interest...

Unless you're talking about the professional services company surcharge, which also obviously won't apply, as the company won't be carrying on a profession or a professional service.

Good point. It's a while since I worked with small companies so am rusty

OP example of why you should get proper advice rather than relying in internet randomers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 WinnerLAD

Fly to Gibralter/Malta/Isle of Man and register a business?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

WinnerLAD wrote: »
    Fly to Gibralter/Malta/Isle of Man and register a business?

Unless he plans on flying there every time he blogs this is a silly idea. Registering a thing somewhere doesn't mean that's where it happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

If you make 2k a month profit and pay 1k tax / USC etc that still leaves you with 1k net? Not bad for a side earner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

I wonder does the blog count as an artistic income- and he could get exemptions
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/reliefs/artists-exemption.html

Advertisement