Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letter from HSI for commercial vehicle

Options
  • 03-11-2014 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi,

Could someone send me in the right direction, where do you get a letter from Horse Sport Ireland to tax an commercial vehicle??

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Hi,

Could someone send me in the right direction, where do you get a letter from Horse Sport Ireland to tax an commercial vehicle??

Thanks in advance

Contact HSI???

Is this a new thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭mothoin

you put your equine number on the application form where it asks for herd number

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭may06

Hi,

Thanks in advance

You don't is the answer! And you shouldnt need such a letter for taxing!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭loopyloulilly

When you're re-registering a commercial vehicle in your name, you need some evidence you own a business. My dad uses his herd number for his vehicle.

When you're re-registering a commercial vehicle in your name, you need some evidence you own a business. My dad uses his herd number for his vehicle.

Why dont you use same? or your equine premises number if it differs from the herd number.
    You do not get a letter as such from HSI as per your original post.

• Advertisement

may06 wrote: »
    Why dont you use same? or your equine premises number if it differs from the herd number.
    You do not get a letter as such from HSI as per your original post.

NOTICE
    RE TAXING OF COMMERCIAL/GOODS VEHICLE
    S

The Department of Environment Heritage and Local Government are enforcing Legislation in relation to Goods/Commercial Vehicles. The Declaration is to be sought for all Goods Vehicles with the design gross vehicle weight not exceeding 3,500 k.g.

In this regard, in order to tax a vehicle at the goods rate all applicants must provide supporting documentation proving the nature of the business in which the vehicle is being used..

The following are examples of acceptable supporting documentation
    (1 piece of supporting documentation is sufficient):-

1. Confirmation letter of registration for tax with the Revenue Commissioners.
    2. A valid Tax Clearance Certificate or C2 Card.
    3. Evidence of registration for VAT.
    4. Local Authority Commercial Rates Receipt.
    5. Vehicles used for work purposes – a letter from their Employer on headed paper with VAT Number quoted.
    6. Letter from District Veterinary Office confirming Herd Number or Flock Number.
    7. People that have horses should provide a letter from Horse Sport Ireland as the horses should be registered.
    8. People that are breeding dogs should provide a letter from Irish Coursing Club.
    9. People that have pigs should provide a letter from Dept. of Agriculture stating that they are pig farmers.
    10. Farm produce should provide a letter from Dept. of Agriculture confirming the type of produce ie. wheat, barley etc.
    11. Musicians can provide a letter from the venue that they most play in.
    12. Artists can provide an Artist Exemption Certificate issued by Revenue.

If the vehicle is not used for Business purposes the vehicle will need to be taxed at the private rate of tax.

In accordance with Article 3 of the Road Vehicles (Registration & Licensing) (Amendment) Regulations 1992 the Motor Tax Office can ask for any information to satisfy themselves that the vehicle is being correctly taxed.

This is what I'm going by.

NOTICE
    RE TAXING OF COMMERCIAL/GOODS VEHICLE
    S

The Department of Environment Heritage and Local Government are enforcing Legislation in relation to Goods/Commercial Vehicles. The Declaration is to be sought for all Goods Vehicles with the design gross vehicle weight not exceeding 3,500 k.g.

In this regard, in order to tax a vehicle at the goods rate all applicants must provide supporting documentation proving the nature of the business in which the vehicle is being used..

The following are examples of acceptable supporting documentation
    (1 piece of supporting documentation is sufficient):-

1. Confirmation letter of registration for tax with the Revenue Commissioners.
    2. A valid Tax Clearance Certificate or C2 Card.
    3. Evidence of registration for VAT.
    4. Local Authority Commercial Rates Receipt.
    5. Vehicles used for work purposes – a letter from their Employer on headed paper with VAT Number quoted.
    6. Letter from District Veterinary Office confirming Herd Number or Flock Number.
    7. People that have horses should provide a letter from Horse Sport Ireland as the horses should be registered.
    8. People that are breeding dogs should provide a letter from Irish Coursing Club.
    9. People that have pigs should provide a letter from Dept. of Agriculture stating that they are pig farmers.
    10. Farm produce should provide a letter from Dept. of Agriculture confirming the type of produce ie. wheat, barley etc.
    11. Musicians can provide a letter from the venue that they most play in.
    12. Artists can provide an Artist Exemption Certificate issued by Revenue.

If the vehicle is not used for Business purposes the vehicle will need to be taxed at the private rate of tax.

In accordance with Article 3 of the Road Vehicles (Registration & Licensing) (Amendment) Regulations 1992 the Motor Tax Office can ask for any information to satisfy themselves that the vehicle is being correctly taxed.

This is what I'm going by.

If you have a herd number/access to a herd number or equine premises number that will suffice. I use the herd number myself. Have never got HSI letter, never being asked for it even when i was re-registering the jeep last year. In fact no one i know in the same boat has ever needed or got HSI letter.

may06 wrote: »
    If you have a herd number/access to a herd number or equine premises number that will suffice. I use the herd number myself. Have never got HSI letter, never being asked for it even when i was re-registering the jeep last year. In fact no one i know in the same boat has ever needed or got HSI letter.

Grand so, thanks for the update. Cleared that up. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭paddi22

Do you need to be doing horses as a business though to qualify? I always wondered about that

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭paddi22

mainly as the tax rules state commerical vehicles cannot be used for 'social, domestic or pleasure purposes'
    so using it to tow to a hunter trial, for example, wouldn't be work related.

• Advertisement
Advertisement