Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Expired Licence

Options
  • 03-11-2014 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

I recently discovered whilst trying to rent a car that my licence expired in Jan 2013. According to the NDLS website I can renew if I held a licence that expired less than 10 years ago.

Does anyone know if it will be a straight forward renewal or will I have to do the test again?

Also as I have been driving since it expired will this have any implications with insurance renewal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

AdamB wrote: »
    I recently discovered whilst trying to rent a car that my licence expired in Jan 2013. According to the NDLS website I can renew if I held a licence that expired less than 10 years ago.

Does anyone know if it will be a straight forward renewal or will I have to do the test again?

Also as I have been driving since it expired will this have any implications with insurance renewal?

It shouldn't have any effect on your insurance generally they apply the same 10 year rule. But just call them to be sure. Just get it renewed as soon as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Cailin1234

No it doesn't matter. You can just renew it without having to do a test. Just get it renewed straight away because if you have an accident while it's expired you wouldn't be covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Cailin1234 wrote: »
    No it doesn't matter. You can just renew it without having to do a test. Just get it renewed straight away because if you have an accident while it's expired you wouldn't be covered.

You are wrong on the insurance end of that. As long as you have not been disqualified, your insurance is valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Cailin1234

You are wrong on the insurance end of that. As long as you have not been disqualified, your insurance is valid.

Just checked out what you said & apologies for being wrong. I was stopped by guards & discovered that my licence was out of date. He told me that it was an offence to drive on an expired license & told me to get it renewed asap (obv let me off). I assumed that if it was an offence then the insurance companies wouldn't cover you. But we all know what assuming does! :-)

Advertisement