Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding insurance

Options
  • 03-11-2014 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi everyone hope you can help me with this one,

Yesterday I'm pretty sure i was caught doing 71 in a 60. my own fault shouldn't have been doing it and I'm willing to accept points and fine.

Now the complicated bit.

I was in my friends car of which I thought I had insurance on. I say thought because I have fully comp on my own car and have always believed that it gives third party on another vehicle, however I phoned my insurance company and they have said this is not the case ! The Car however is insured fully comp but obviously I am not a named driver.

This means I have been caught speeding without insurance !! I am now very very worried I am going to be in big trouble !

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get some help, or has anyone had a similar experience. Do they even check if the driver is insured etc Any advice will be helpful.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

The owner will just get a ticket, he sends it abck with your details, then it is reissued to you, you pay fine, get points letter from RSA, end of story

Be careful out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

"pretty sure"

Was it a camera van or were you physically stopped, or was it a garda car?

How do you now it was 71? - The car will give you an indication, but not a correct reading. Also if it was a garda car, they would ahve stopped you.

If it was a camera van - they have leeway on what speed is actually sent a ticket. 65-70k in 60 zone and you may get away with it.

On the insurance - I would have zero worries unless you were stopped and asked to present the insurance. But for future, get open driving on your policy (usually doesn't cost any extra)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 wf1706

it was a camera van. I have LCD display and was saying 71 just after I went by it not sure what speed I was doing as i was accelerating so he may have clocked me at lower speed that's why I'm not 100% I was done. I know the vans give leeway and that the clock in the car is accurate so i might be saved.

If I was speeding ill fully accept the fine. The insurance is my only worry I will definitely be upgrading my insurance policy after this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭orm0nd

wf1706 wrote: »
    it was a camera van. I have LCD display and was saying 71 just after I went by it not sure what speed I was doing as i was accelerating so he may have clocked me at lower speed that's why I'm not 100% I was done. I know the vans give leeway and that the clock in the car is accurate so i might be saved.

If I was speeding ill fully accept the fine. The insurance is my only worry I will definitely be upgrading my insurance policy after this

you may get off scott free I know i passed a few vans about 10 over and never heard from them , my son got done doing 15 over according to the van

however if you do get points it's important to notify your insurance as well as other policy you will be driving on

it shouldn't affect your premium

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭guil

delahuntv wrote: »
    "pretty sure"

Was it a camera van or were you physically stopped, or was it a garda car?

How do you now it was 71? - The car will give you an indication, but not a correct reading. Also if it was a garda car, they would ahve stopped you.

If it was a camera van - they have leeway on what speed is actually sent a ticket. 65-70k in 60 zone and you may get away with it.

On the insurance - I would have zero worries unless you were stopped and asked to present the insurance. But for future, get open driving on your policy (usually doesn't cost any extra)

I think your wrong on the leeway. Trucks have speedos calibrated regularly and I know lads that got tickets for 84 kmh in an 80 zone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

go on a road with an 80 km/h speed limit, drive at 71 as per your lcd, and compare it to a gps/smart phone, at that speed, cars would usually be indicating 4-5 km/h above the actual.

guil wrote: »
    I think your wrong on the leeway. Trucks have speedos calibrated regularly and I know lads that got tickets for 84 kmh in an 80 zone.

I don't think there's any leeway with gosafe. A gard operator may give you the benfit of the doubt

orm0nd wrote: »
    you may get off scott free I know i passed a few vans about 10 over and never heard from them , my son got done doing 15 over according to the van

however if you do get points it's important to notify your insurance as well as other policy you will be driving on

it shouldn't affect your premium

What insurance was that ? :-)

The point is, if you get a ticket,in this way, you don't have to produce your documents, which is the nub of the matter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

What do you mean by LCD, that the car's dashboard is digital? If that's the case and it said "71", you were probably doing 63-64...unless you are talking about a GPS reading.

yes it has digital display on dash.

That speeding isn't an issue really if I was so be it.

main question is when my friends returns the form saying that I was the driver, will I be asked for insurance documents or will it be a case of pay the fine take the points and end of story which seems to be the impression I'm getting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Not condoning driving without insurance but I wouldn't worry about that. You weren't detained, you won't be asked to prove insurance etc. That would require a lot of joined up thinking.

If the form comes, your friend nominates you and your details are supplied along with the fine. I've filled out two for myself and I can assure you it doesn't ask for proof of insurance or tax.

Also, a digital display doesn't mean its more accurate, no more than a digital display on my bathroom weighing scales means accuracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

corktina wrote: »
    I don't think there's any leeway with gosafe. A gard operator may give you the benfit of the doubt

Just checked and tolerance is +4%

As for the OP - absolutely no worry on the insurance. As for led reader - unless it is calibrated on a regular basis, it will only give you an indication. It will not be totally accurate.

MrDerp wrote: »
    Not condoning driving without insurance but I wouldn't worry about that. You weren't detained, you won't be asked to prove insurance etc. That would require a lot of joined up thinking.

I wouldn't drive without insurance normally. Not reading finer print on insurance was my down fall but I now know. Will be sure to read it more carefully next time

I wouldn't drive without insurance normally. Not reading finer print on insurance was my down fall but I now know. Will be sure to read it more carefully next time

Why are you not covered thirds party on other cars? I don't think I have come across any insurance company who doesn't give this cover.

Why are you not covered thirds party on other cars? I don't think I have come across any insurance company who doesn't give this cover.

the policy i have hassmall print that saysyou have to be over 25, which im not, to avail of the open insurance.

the basic fully comp i got says its included but only to over 25s should have dug deeper to ensure i was covered. Will be over 25 by time i have to renew so wont be issue in few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

delahuntv wrote: »

This is where the confusion comes from. Open Driving, relates to the people who can drive your vehicle under your insurance. Driving of other cars is the extension you require

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Under 25's typically don't have this cover I've found. There are exceptions however. Always check your policy is the best advice.

Under 25's typically don't have this cover I've found. There are exceptions however. Always check your policy is the best advice.

Funnily enough I've found the opposite. I've used a number of insurers (Quinn, 123, Axa) and have experience of a few more from people at home (aviva being one) and Axa were the only one with an age restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Whether way it works, it's wrongly designed system that it's so easy to have uninsured people driving on public roads, sometimes doing it even unintentionally and unknowingly like OP.

Perhaps a rego system like in Aus which includes third party insurance would help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement