Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My first marathon story and weakness in back of Knee

Options
  • 03-11-2014 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

I did the DCM last Monday and completed it. It was my first ever Marathon, and I won't lie; I did practically no training for it at all.
    I've gone running a grand total of 16 times this year, and until last Monday my furthest distance was a whopping 10.34kms.

My fitness is decent I would say, I train quite hard every day with strength and conditioning and martial arts, and while there was some carryover it isn't enough.

The Marathon itself was tough. I finished it in 5:50 but I was actually very happy with that result to be completely honest. I thought it would take me a lot longer, and I was just happy to finish it and be able to get a picture with my 3 brothers and friends, with our medals.
    I was feeling fine until the last 6 miles. At that point my legs really started to fatigue, and each km seemed exponentially harder than the last. My hamstrings were getting stiff and it was a mental battle to keep myself going, but I was determined to finish.

The day after the marathon was fun. Stairs were a killer and the day was spent mostly sitting on the couch with a constant fear of when I'd have to get up use the toilet again. The second day was a bit better but still much the same.

So here I am almost a week later. All muscle soreness is long gone and I'm feeling great with myself, except for a slight problem with my left leg/knee. I'm experiencing some weakness at the back of my leg behind my knee. It's not a pain as such, just a dull sort of pressure. It's between the centre and medial point of my leg. There's also some clicking present when I walk.
    I haven't been training at all this week, and have been resting as much as possible. My job requires me to be on my feet for up to 8 hours every night so I've kept a support sleeve on my knee and most of my weight on my right knee. There's no swelling or discolouration or tenderness when I touch it. There were no sharp pains or anything like that.

At the moment I'm waiting to see if it goes away on its own but I'm thinking I should go get it checked by a physio. Can anyone recommend a good physio, who deals with a lot runners, around Dublin? I'm on the Navan Road but don't mind travelling. And obviously a diagnosis is against the rules but does anyone have any idea about what it could be or has anyone experienced it before?

Sorry about the long post. Really appreciate any and all replies.

Thanks a lot :)

Comments

Advertisement