Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acker Bilk dies!

Options
  • 02-11-2014 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭

I heard on RTE News a few minutes ago that Acker Bilk, who had written Stranger on the Shore, had died aged 85.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1102/656432-acker-bilk/

I don't know much about the man himself but Stranger on the Shore was a beautiful piece of music for me to remember.

RIP you good man.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Isn't that the music they play in nut-houses to keep the nutters from going off their nut?

Is that where you remember it from?

Nice tune :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

catallus wrote: »
    Isn't that the music they play in nut-houses to keep the nutters from going off their nut?

I wouldn't have a clue about that being played in nut-houses myself but I would usually hear snippets of it on the radio at home from time to time. I still agree with you with it being a good tune.

• Moderators Posts: 51,726 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

catallus wrote: »

And people wonder why there's such an issue about discussing mental health problems in this country:rolleyes:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Ah ****. My Dad likes him, had his CD in the car.

Journey well Mr. Bilk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

RIP.

Thought he had pased years ago if I'm honest.

Advertisement