Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would I go about finding out if a person in the census is the right one?

Options
  • 02-11-2014 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    First I must say thanks to this forum it has given me a clue to find some one I have been looking for. I have been browsing the forum for a couple of days. I was looking for Ellen McDermott in Dublin in the census, I couldn't find her, I had no idea where in Dublin. She was my grandfather's sister. I read a post here about Dublin City Library & Archives, and the electoral rolls. I had a look at those and that gave me some address' to search for. There was only one that might fit with the address being 6 Camden St Lower. The person I'm looking for was born in Tankardstown, Bruree, Co Limerick in 1880 into the McCarthy family. All I knew about her was she married a man named McDermott, was living in Dublin and they had a shop. To begin with I was looking for her as Lena, I couldn't find any baptismal records for her then I thought she has to be Ellen, I do have her baptismal record. Her father was a Master Stonemason, two of her brothers were stonemasons too.

I don't know where to go next with this because I can't find a marriage record for her. The Ellen in Camden St. has 30 as her age but if this is her she would have been 21. Her husband is down as 48. In 1911 she is a widow, so no children recorded. I went on to family search and found a will for him, he died on the 30th Dec. 1902 leaving Ellen £306 17s 9p. Any ideas on how I could go further with this? Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

That's a big age difference, especially at a young age.

Can you link to her on the census you do have? ETA: found it. http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Fitzwilliam/Camden_Street__Lower_East_Side/78628/

Also have you tried searching under Nellie? Common version of Ellen/Helen.

Furthermore, if you're happy you've got the right baptism, then she's young enough to be married and gone to Dublin by 1901. Have you looked for her under her maiden name in the 1901 census? I presume she's not with her family.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Eve222

Thank you Pinky. Yes I do have the right baptismal record for Ellen. I went to the church in Kilmallock where 7 of the brothers and sisters were baptised. She was the eldest, her parents, Michael and Margaret McCarthy were married in Jan. 1880, Ellen was born in Nov. 1880. I will try the other names you have suggested. Thank you for your quick reply.

Sorry Pinky, yes I looked for her with her maiden name with no luck. Yes it is a big age difference with the two of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Hi - there was obviously a Limerick connection; Ellen McDermott was born in Co Limerick according to the 1901 Census; she was aged 38 in 1911 so her age was a guesstimate. McDermott's pub, 6 Lower Camden Street was advertised for sale Irish Independent on 8 Feb 1921 - stated to be by" instructions of the owner who intends devoting his entire attention to his farm in Co. Limerick' This indicates that Ellen may have died by then and left the business to a nephew from Limerick. Haven't found a death date for her, or a will yet. Might be worth having a look at James McDermott's will in the National Archives.

Thank you very much KildareFan! I was completely stuck on this, you have given me another lead to follow.

• Advertisement
Advertisement