Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IM Florida - cancelled swim

Options
  • 02-11-2014 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭

Rough swim conditions (wind and current)
    Poor swimmers, very poor. American IMs have "break rafts", sorta people who enter a race before being able to swim the distance.
    Some water satefy craft unable to get out in the water due to lack of training and expertise.

Swim cancelled.

A quote that sums up the Ironman, Team In Training approach.
    FRIEND: Even though we live in Kansas, do you think you can be ready to do a rough open water swim?

IMF Participant: No, I've never swam a single stroke in the gulf or ocean...but they'll cancel it if it's too rough for me.

and
    Last week in Maui, the XTERRA worlds had much worse conditions and most everyone was looking forward to the challenge of such a tough swim.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

they let them off time trial style, 2 at a time, by number on the bikes.

it's pretty scary that the automatic assumption some people have, that in the case of rough water, that the swim will be cancelled, rather than they would have to swim in it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Now that looks like fun!

I wonder how much of a cancelled swim is about the event management just plain unwilling to manage a tougher swim? It's a slap in the face for everyone who bothers to train properly for the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

That's a proper fcuking swim! How bad was it in Florida? I know they get a lot of serious storms this time of year so the weather can be pot luck on the day.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

That swim was shortened to 1.9km for full distance participants, but unchanged for half.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I really hope im europe never get that soft. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭pointer28

I wonder did they change their tattoo designs to read MDOT 138.2 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Now that looks like fun!

I wonder how much of a cancelled swim is about the event management just plain unwilling to manage a tougher swim? It's a slap in the face for everyone who bothers to train properly for the event.

Mullaghmore was like that 3 years ago and it was SIU time!!

Proper racing for proper swimmers. The mindset that Tunney indicated is not the mind set of an Ironman triathlete, maybe what IRONMAN has become but not what triathlon is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

• Advertisement

not swim related, but amusing was to see the bikers heading off, in florida, in light winter gear. something i bet none of them expected when they signed up

tunney wrote: »
    ????

That looks fine!

I was being sarcastic.

tunney wrote: »
    ????

That looks fine!

kilkee last year was worse than that, in terms of roughness anyway, maybe didn't have the rips

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I guess after the number of people that drown in the NY triathlon a couple of years ago most races with stick to a 'better safe than sorry' approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

AKW wrote: »
    Mullaghmore was like that 3 years ago and it was SIU time!!

Proper racing for proper swimmers. The mindset that Tunney indicated is not the mind set of an Ironman triathlete, maybe what IRONMAN has become but not what triathlon is about.

Hence the TIT comment!!

Advertisement